Kenwood Excelon KDC-X592 & 16 GB Flash Drive?

Participant count
  • Participant list
It should work fine.

I have an X491 and I've run USB hard drives off of it. My brother has an X791 and uses a 120Gb Seagate USB drive in his truck. It works fine. If a hard drive works then any flash drive should too.

Were the USB drives powered through the 12V or were they powered by the head unit?

I'm worried more about the head unit not providing enough power than I am being able to actually read the drives.

They were powered by the head unit. They are 2.5" laptop drives so they can run off of a USB port alone with no problems.

I think my X491 had some issues with the 120Gb but I can't remember if it was related to the drive being formatted wrong or if it was power related. It works fine on my brother's X791 though, and these drives take MUCH more power than a flash drive. You should have no power problems using any flash drive on one of these head units.

Alright sweet. I was thinking about a 1.8 inch drive, but I heard it can take up to 2-10 minutes to "read" them when it's first turned on and that just doesn't seem worth it to me. With a CD and 16 GB of music, I think I'll have plenty for any trip I need to make.

I have an 8gb card in my x591, and it works perfect. Now that's an older model and 1/2 the size you asked about...so I don't know why I posted...

I have the Kenwood X692 unit in my truck and it is awesome. Liked it much better over Alpine and Pioneer. Best $167 that I spent on a head unit, that's for sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.