just what exactly do you guys mean by "old school"?

Phoenix Gold has always been in Portland, Oregon for the record.

In my eyes, old school was back when subs and amps were made in the US, speakers were made in the US or Europe, processors were made by AudioControl or HiFonics, HUs were made in Japan. CDs were a luxury, and an annoyance. SpeakerWorks was still in the business of winning the IASCA finals with aperiodic sub installs and their in house waveguides. Speaker Warehouse was doing the same from the other coast with their signature blend of PPI amps (AM or ProMOS series, the Art series was still a few years down the road), MB Quart speakers, Alpine heads, AudioControl EQs and crossovers and their homebrew house brand sub; you may have heard of the brand: JL Audio.

Whole systems were run at that time off one 2-channel amp. A really small one at that. The thought of more than 1kw was almost laughable for all but the most hardcore competitor in a dedicated competition vehicle. Sub enclosures were sealed. Fiberglass in an install was rare. Vinyl, formica and Fleckstone over flat panels is where it was at. Accent lighting was neon, not LED.

Solobaric didn't exist. Kicker made SQ subs, in fact that is what the original Solobarics were. Soundstream products were blue, period. Amps were cooled with fins, not fans. Low power class vehicles had lots of speakers (37 in the Speaker warehouse Blazer that won in the 0-100W class 5 years in a row.) High power class cars had 6 (SpeakerWorks GN and Harry Kimura's Accord specifically).

The over-riding theme of the day when it came to serious aftermarket stereo was sound quality not sound quantity in a vehicle that was still functional as transportation. Flashy show cars didn't intermingle with the car audio scene. There were audio comps and there were car comps and never the two shall meet.

Phoenix Gold has always been in Portland, Oregon for the record.
In my eyes, old school was back when subs and amps were made in the US, speakers were made in the US or Europe, processors were made by AudioControl or HiFonics, HUs were made in Japan. CDs were a luxury, and an annoyance. SpeakerWorks was still in the business of winning the IASCA finals with aperiodic sub installs and their in house waveguides. Speaker Warehouse was doing the same from the other coast with their signature blend of PPI amps (AM or ProMOS series, the Art series was still a few years down the road), MB Quart speakers, Alpine heads, AudioControl EQs and crossovers and their homebrew house brand sub; you may have heard of the brand: JL Audio.

Whole systems were run at that time off one 2-channel amp. A really small one at that. The thought of more than 1kw was almost laughable for all but the most hardcore competitor in a dedicated competition vehicle. Sub enclosures were sealed. Fiberglass in an install was rare. Vinyl, formica and Fleckstone over flat panels is where it was at. Accent lighting was neon, not LED.

Solobaric didn't exist. Kicker made SQ subs, in fact that is what the original Solobarics were. Soundstream products were blue, period. Amps were cooled with fins, not fans. Low power class vehicles had lots of speakers (37 in the Speaker warehouse Blazer that won in the 0-100W class 5 years in a row.) High power class cars had 6 (SpeakerWorks GN and Harry Kimura's Accord specifically).

The over-riding theme of the day when it came to serious aftermarket stereo was sound quality not sound quantity in a vehicle that was still functional as transportation. Flashy show cars didn't intermingle with the car audio scene. There were audio comps and there were car comps and never the two shall meet.

WoW now that was a flashback !

But didnt Harry have a Legend not Accord? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ. Rockford Fosgate, Orion, MTX, Phoenix Gold....
Audio Control EQT's, Coustic Amp460, Linear Power, Ads Powerplate. Altec Lansing components, USD Waveguides, Stillwater Designs (Gold Lettering), Punch45, Punch75, Punch150, Power300, Power650, Power1000, Orion 225HCCA, 250HCCA, XTreme100, Xtreme Subs, PPI Art Series amps, M&M Godfathers, 6 green button Alpine , 7909, McIntosh MX5000, MCD5000, MC4000M. When Rear Fill was king, Centerchannels ruled, kickpanels were non-existant. When SQ meant 8 15's and a pair of 4x6 plates. Pioneer just introduced the Supertuner FM tuner.

Sony ES was king and Eclipse didn't exist. When Clarion was a joke and Jensen Quadrax 6x9's were the best. Old School now is a state of mind. A time to take you back to the roots of car audio. A time when 400w was alot, and 5000w was unheard of. Back before Dampner, when a true system was hooked up with 4g wire, no "big 3" or caps. When IASCA was formed from the Car Audio Nationals (Alpine Nationals), When USAC was just for SPL.

We remember the time when you used Optima (Radio Shack) free air woofers, a 7-band 250w Pyramid Graphic EQ crusing down the local drag while blasting "Time for a Soda".

Aaaaaaa....those were the days.
Real old school?
Audiomobile, Zapco (the three piece amps), Craig Powerplay, Becker, Alphasonik (german-made), Proton, Autotek (AMERICAN made, PRE-Hifonics), Fosgate Audionics, Sanyo PA6100 amps, EPI LS-70 plates, BABB car speakers, Pyle (from Huntington IN), M&M, Monolithic, ODI Redline speakers, Linear Power, Visonik (German-made), using Dynaudio drivers from Madisound in cars, Gold Sound, Altec-Lansing 6x9-4B's, Deltasonik, AFS Kriket, Blaupunkt New York cassette decks, Fultron (before they became Memphis), Concord, Technics car audio.

Renting an old building, getting three of your buddies together, and starting a car stereo shop in a tiny south GA town.

When car stereo contests were some dude with an old EV or Shure RTA and a hand-held SPL meter.

When you had to travel HALF A STATE to even GET to a car audio contest (and winning it!).

When putting a baffle over the tire well in an '84 Z-28 and mounting woofers in there, was considered HIGH TECH.

When DIN cables reigned supreme for preamp signal cables, at Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer and Technics.

When CD players for cars were a BRAND NEW thing, and were way too expensive for almost anyone to afford (and they SKIPPED... a LOT).

When building a wall for woofers, behind the front seats of a car, was considered absolutely impossibly insane (but we did it anyway!).

When the Kicker Black Beauty Astro van (9 18" Comps, plus midbass and highs, running from 14 bridged Linear Power 5002 amps) was the loudest thing anyone had heard (155.5 dB in 1989!).

The first Masters Car Audio Contest in Athens GA (where Richard Clark only came in SECOND place, though he SHOULD have won).

When certain people from Florida (who will not be named //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ) were caught CHEATING at a contest, with hidden Rockford-Fosgate Power 1000 amps (hidden INSIDE a sub enclosure), in a Suburban that CLAIMED to only be powered by a bunch of Punch 45 amps (I saw this in person!).

Yeah, those were interesting times...

Regards,

Gordon.
bowdown.gif

qqqq.gif

sd.gif

BermudaBowned.gif

i've got ALOT of respect for the true old schoolers...

WoW now that was a flashback !
But didnt Harry have a Legend not Accord? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Now that you mention it you are probably correct. I remember Honda product, but I couldn't remember the exact model. He moved on to a T-bird after that IIRC.

Yep Mr. Kimura had a legend. I still remember hearing it , and the speaker works buick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bowdown.gif.b85b23b82970bd22fb6b549c3392f016.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Before starting on my xB's audio system, I researched who was building SQ setups and winning competitions, and ended up having Speaker Works build my Scion xB project setup. I also had the pleasure of meeting Harry Kimura at a couple audio comps. Nice guy, very knowledgeable. I remember seeing trucks, vans, bronco's, blazers, and dually's in the staging lanes back in the day. I remember Sherwood, Rockwood, and Pyramid being used in a lot of "show cars" too.

I think it was after Richard bought it . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The old Sherwoods were actually fairly solid amps. Rockwood, Kenford and Pyramid on the other hand...
ramos-did you hear the Buick before or after RC got ahold of it?
Ahh yes the old goldish colored Sherwoods with the fan.. model # 240 rings a bell.. they were quite decent for the money.

Yeah I talked to eric about it a while back //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

oohh yees! the ol baffle board in the camaro tire well. I remember doing this with a "piano-hinge", till one lazy day when I used some drywall screws that were a lil bit too long. Everthing was all good till the customer brought the car back- (he sometimes smell gas, but only when he has a FULL tank!) And yeah,

Proton decks, my first detachable face HU (with exposed pins). Wow, that's going back a ways. Right around the same time as the Kenwood-999 era.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.