Just Put In Dual 12" subs, sounds weaker than old 10"

Participant count
  • Participant list
At least you have a nice head unit......
one pair of 2 volt preouts is not nice. Thats limiting his performance of his whole system. I actually highly doubt its a true 2 volt preout as well because its one of those rear/sub interchangeable sub outs and every experience with those literally limits more than half of the actual potential output of the system by far. Bass literally improved two fold with a head unit swap to a proper 4 volt pre out with dedicated sub out. Definitely one of the weak links in his setup, possibly the weakest.

OP wire one sub out of phase like mentioned before. Make sure you have proper wire gauge power and ground for your amp. Specs say your amp is .500 mv to 6 volts meaning your head unit volume and sub level needs to be pretty high up along with the amp gains in order to get anything out of that amp, your preout signal is way too weak IMO. But definitely check the phase first. Make sure your head unit its selected for subwoofer pre-out in the audio options.

OP wire one sub out of phase like mentioned before. Make sure you have proper wire gauge power and ground for your amp. Specs say your amp is .500 mv to 6 volts meaning your head unit volume and sub level needs to be pretty high up along with the amp gains in order to get anything out of that amp, your preout signal is way too weak IMO. But definitely check the phase first. Make sure your head unit its selected for subwoofer pre-out in the audio options.
Damn okay, I'm not very experienced with this stuff, so how do I reverse my wires for one of my subs? What does that mean?

So if switching wires doesn't work, will a new head unit be the answer?

Disconnect the 2 wires from one of the subwoofers. Reconnect backwards. + where - was and - where + was. Leave the other sub wired the way it is.
Took the positive wire on sub and put it in negative and vice versa. It didn't work. It just sounded.... Bad. What's next?

I'd rather have a ported single 10 over a couple sealed 12's any day. I'm betting your issue is the box or subs wired outta phase. 250 rms watts for subs isn't a whole lot.

I'd rather have a ported single 10 over a couple sealed 12's any day. I'm betting your issue is the box or subs wired outta phase. 250 rms watts for subs isn't a whole lot.
I can assure that it isn't out of phase. I made sure to plug them in right. You say 250rms isnt a lot, should I be looking at different subs and different amp? Do I need a new head unit too? I don't have a ton of money which is why I'm trying to limit what needs replacing. Could it be as simple as getting a ported box?

I can assure that it isn't out of phase. I made sure to plug them in right. You say 250rms isnt a lot, should I be looking at different subs and different amp? Do I need a new head unit too? I don't have a ton of money which is why I'm trying to limit what needs replacing. Could it be as simple as getting a ported box?
its not that you wired them wrong, its more like if the factory has a defect and swapped positives and negatives by accident. So thats the cheapest way if its actually out of phase. Next would be the box. Then the head unit in that order. Build your own box, dont buy premade garbage.

its not that you wired them wrong, its more like if the factory has a defect and swapped positives and negatives by accident. So thats the cheapest way if its actually out of phase. Next would be the box. Then the head unit in that order. Build your own box, dont buy premade garbage.
Okay I'll do that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.