Just Lost My Install Virginity

neo_styles
10+ year member

AKA Pop Twidget
WA
That's right, folks. I took the leap and installed an AVH-P8400BH into my '06 Passat. Didn't hurt as much as I expected //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. I did learn a couple things though that should have been common sense, but I feel they could probably help other noobs out there:

1. The remote start wire on the harness adapter and the remote start wire on the HU aren't supposed to be connected to each other. This kept me scratching my head for a few minutes before I had to turn around and smack my face into a wall.

2. When you disconnect the battery on a '06 Passat, funny things happen the first time you start you car. I received a Steering Lock warning and couldn't turn on/off ESP (Stability Control). Instead of RTFM and see that this would alleviate itself if I drove forward a few feet, I started aimlessly pulling relays in the fuse box. This caused my TCU to poop itself and I had to re-pull the negative battery lead to clear the fault. So RTFM. It's that important.

So thanks all you CA guys out there. You helped me start upgrading. I look forward to being able to post more.

Usually the most annoying part is either wiring up the HU or running wires. Neither is particularly confusing, but sometimes is just time consuming. Most everything else is extremely easy.

Lol seriously. I posted a quick review on the HU Reviews forum but it was awesome getting my hands dirty on this. I've swapped a couple door speakers before, but nothing like this. Routing wires, crossing fingers, hoping things come on the first time...now I know why people charge for this.

I figured. Gotta be able to hand it back. Chuckle a bit every time I see your sig come across a post I'm reading btw

I can only imagine. I lurked for a couple weeks before officially joining the thread and between here and DIYMA, there's enough stuff that's made me want to smack my head against a wall to try and forget I ever read it.

This is a good place to learn the basics but DIYMA has a lot of in depth knowledge
Good to know. I'll probably have to bounce back between here and DIYMA then when it comes time to do the door speakers. I know I'm gonna have to drill out rivets which means baffles which, knowing me, means learning how to glass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.