Just installed new amp, now HU overheats?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Check your fuses under the hood. There is one for the stereo if it is an older car the fuse probably blew. If not the wiring is not correct most likely.

Whats up with that? I pulled the HU out and it felt so insanely hot, I could barley touch it.
What could be causing this?
My head unit gets very insanely hot but it doesn't shut off or anything, they are in a tight space with amps inside.

its the opposite for me. (btw, The morels sound A LOT louder and clearer now that I hooked an amp up to them, might be overpowered though a little)

except your HU should not get hot now that it is not powering speakers. i suspect a speaker wiring short - i.e. you didn't cut and cap the speaker wire outputs at the back of the HU when you installed the amp. do that now. no electrical tape - use crimped vinyl closed end connectors.

further, how can you touch the HU case while it is running? you should not power up equipment that is not fully installed and mounted.

based on your several threads, you have wiring issues. as stated, we need pictures if your wiring and connections.

in the future, when you have multiple issues, provide links to previous threads so people know the history of your issues. when solving problems remotely, we need as much information/history as possible.

Meh. My speakers are powered by external amp, wires all capped, HU heat sink still gets hot as hell. Granted, it' warm weather here, and hotter in my black dash. And I don't care about my HU, as I'm waiting to get a new one. But that ****** has burnt me a few times being so hot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.