Just Curious...

Participant count
  • Participant list

PapaGeno21
10+ year member

Captain Questions
Just Curious about your opinions on this.

I currently have 2 RE Se-x subs. They sound great and I really like them.

What do you think would hit harder though and sound better.

My 2 RE's in my current box

- OR -

18" FI Q in a 6ft^3@36Hz

Both would be using my ZX1000.1 as I don't really feel like changing amps.

Thanks!

plain and simple the fi q will hit harder for a few reasons. (1). the motor is a 1500rms motor with stronger magnets (2). more surface area of the cone a 480 cm squared each for the re-*** versus a 1210 cm squared total for the fi q (3). the spl of the fi q starts out at 112 db at 1 w/1 m ware the *** come to 95.5db's at 1 w / 1 m these number were pulled from a formula i have in a book and i find it very correct. by the way the speck for spl were not done for the 2 ohm version of the fi q becasue i am sure they are simular i only calculated the one ohm version i am sure they are close to each other with in a db or .3 so on. let me know if you need this formula or the book that goes with it.

Do you think my amp is worthy of running a Q?
The birthsheet said 1149 RMS.

inreply to the rms i do not think your amp is big enough to run the q but if you plan to up grade sooner or later it will be fine to run it for now till you can get a bigger one. if you like the amp and are sticking to it i would is think something like the ssaudio.com icon 18 inch sub. would be the next closest thing to the fi-q rated at 1250 rms. not a full 1500 that 350rms more then what you got now like i was saying if you do plan to up grade go for the fi q. if not i would look at the icon. not saying it not enough and can't do it. i had a mach5audio spl 12 i ran off 1500 rms neither are blown casue it was done right. i am just thinking it will hit closer to it peak but ya those fi q 18's are wicked good. so what ever is you choice. me persoanly i would go for the fi q and up grade the amp later if needed.

And do you think there would be a better option as far as an 18" sub for the 380 price range than the Q?

by the way it may have sliped your mind on how close we are to black friday sales! some time's some companies run subs like fi car audio and ssa etc... so keep it in mind be fore you spend a lot of doe maybe able to upgrade the amp or simular sub for cheaper. just a tip....you could always pic up the fi q before x mas if they do not run it on sale or some thing better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.