Just Bought a Pair of CVR 15's 2010...Now to build a box

Just for anyone that is interested... the Room theses are going in is approximately 15 by 12 (not sealed off it opens into the kitchen with about a 4 by 8 opening/bar style)

Sub Specs...

Resonance Frequency {fs} Hz-----------------24.6

Power handling Watts peak(RMS)------------1000(500)

Sensitivity {SPLo}, db@1W, 1m---------------89.2

Effective Excursion {EXmax} in (mm)---------.492 (12.5)

DC Resistance {Re} ohm----------------------- 3.7

Mechanical Q-Factor {Qms}--------------------9.138

Electrical Q-Factor {Qes}-----------------------.398

Total Q-Factor {Qts} ---------------------------.381

Equivalent Volume {Vas} ft^3 (L)--------------5 (143.82)

We would need a little more information about the room than that to put it to use. That opening to the kitchen is not much different than figuring for port location in a box. It makes a difference, so knowing its exact location is good too. Also need where you plan to put the subs, and where people will be sitting, standing the most ( And I mean by dimensions if possible, but location will do as an average). Also, height of the room and window locations and angles if any.

Usually, when I do HT setups, I check all of this when I visit the room. But if they do not want me to come in, I ask for it. Without it, everything else will just be basic and sound as expected......which is acceptable.

But also, some of this can be replaced with dampening panels. Just have to know where major reflections occur.

View attachment 26530256

Hope you can see this... pulled off internet then measured... (by my foot witch is very close to a foot)

The Red box is the location were i would like to put the speakers

Black=15 feet

Pink= 11 feet

Green= 4 feet

Red = 3 feet

Purple =5 feet

Light Blue= 33 feet

Blue= 6 feet

Brown= is a double door (only one opens) to the patio

The Bar is 3.5 feet

The ceiling is 9 foot in the living room and in the kitchen with drop ceiling over the bar and down the hallway at about 7.5 feet

People with be on the couch (across from the tv and speakers) and around the bar (both sides)

So, I have calculated that you can place it in the needed position at either 15, 45, 75 degrees off the left side wall in the picture from that same side corner to get the best linear response to both the averaged couch location of about 3 ft down and 2 ft forward of the corner, and the averaged bar location of about 7 ft from the hallway opening and about 5.5 ft up from the floor.

Also, I have calculated for an averaged gain response and calculated that the given response is what would be needed to get the best output from your subs in this given space. The accommodation of the sliding doors, two doors on the sides, and bar window as well as hallway have been accounted for and averaged as well. Averages are used here because exact location will vary depending on how many people are in the room, as well as movement along a specific axial distance of both the couch and the bar stool area.

Here is the response gain. I recommend a 37-51Hz tuned design range for this room. The closer to 51Hz, the smoother the response will be.

So that is the box position? What kind of box should be used? Ported, Bandpass, or sealed?
That is with the box located around a foot off of each wall and about 1.5 ft from the ground in the corner you requested. As far as a box type, based on ONLY the gain response of the room in those locations, a conventional bass-reflex design would be good, but there are more complicated designs that may suffice as well. It would depend on what is being put in the box, which I know you have specs for, but it would have to be modeled in order to know for sure what type of design will work best. As far as being acceptable, a tline, or a bass reflex design may be acceptable at this point. Acceptable, as in, good enough to work, but not optimal for sure until other things are calculated.

based on the need for a higher tuning in this case, a bass horn may work quite well also. But having the room for it is up to you.

I had a pair of CVRs in my house...each in like 8.5 cubes tuned somewhere in the 40s im guessing. Surprised how good it sounded and how loud it got on only 200 watts, didn't get very low though due to high tuning, but got loud everywhere else and sounded great!

Idk where people are saying they sound like crap, cause they honestly did not sound bad in my house.

Had them in a pair of these. Took out the bottom subs and put the CVRs in their place. Also disconnected the top subs but left them there.

2261.JPG

I was going to get another pair of CVRs to put in the remaining spots, but my house got robbed and the 2 I had were stolen :/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.