Just blew a 2005 XXX 15, what next? 2000 rms

t-money
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Toronto,Ont
My friend just blew his XXX 15 off only 500 watts. Amp is a Sundown Saz 2000 and it was wired to 4 ohms. Sub just stopped working, no vc smell or anything but one vc reads 0 on him DMM. I thought a blown vc would give crazy readings not 0. Not really sure why the sub blew, he did turn the gains a little high but at 4 ohms, even if the signal was clipped, would think the xxx could handle it.Either way he wants something comparable or better off that power. He was thinking a sp4, Zv4 or a DC XL. What would get the loudest off 2000 watts and sound the best in a box that's 3.7cf before displacement tuned to 30hz. This is going in a 2006 Audi a4. Any help is apprecitated

Well he took his subwoofer to a shop to have them build a box. He previously had the XXX in a sealed box and wanted to try ported. The stupid installer took the sub out of the old box, where it was wired parrallel, and rewired it in series and put it in the ported box. My friend didn't think he rewired it and after driving off thought it was not as loud as it should be so he turned the gain up. A hour later no sound. I blame my friend for not making sure it was wired parrallel when it was put in the ported box plus when i asked him how big the box is and what's it's tuned to, he didn't know. Anyhow, my friend learned his lesson. Lol now he's running only one vc and he thinks it sounds good. So now he needs a new sub. Any suggestions lol

I emailed RE to see how much for a recone, if it's too much i'll put the motor and basket up for sale. What can he get for the blown sub?

2005 RE XXX is the reason i joined this forum. sell it and buy something else. those FI SP4s are are beastly on the low lows.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I emailed RE to see how much for a recone, if it's too much i'll put the motor and basket up for sale. What can he get for the blown sub?
i got $5 on it.

[quote name='cjm86']Hit up PSI too. @SPLaudio ; does recones also.[/QUOTE]

Yes all them can give you a recone. Make sure not to damage the dust cap, RE will charge you 60 bucks for it.

'05 XXX is a pretty small underhung coil. IIRC Fi makes OEM equivalent recone kits for them which is what I'd do. If your box is 3.7 cube before displacement it's probably like 2.5 after the port. You might look into a 12" woofer instead.

My friend decided he wants RE to do the recone. They said it'll be $200. Are their recones better than others? If RE rcones will it look the same as before, same xbl2? He's buying a DC XL 15 since it'll work great in his box. Trying to get him to just sell the XXX

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.