JLW7 vs DD 3500d

Need to include the second part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

DD is low efficiency and low Xmax...where other low-excursion designs are much higher in efficiency...Exhibit A, the old Stroker...or Lowthers, or Fostex's...

It's not about Xmax, it's about efficiency.

Kurt isn't saying that...he's just saying DD's design is very, very wasteful to be dumping that much power for that little linear travel, when you can get more for less...solid state power is cheap, yes...but 40kW of amplification and the electrical system to support it isn't cheap any way you slice it.
It's not about Xmax, it's about efficiency.

If I read into that wrong, my apologies //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Edit, I don't care about speaker brand/model. Just trying to learn me some basics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Didn't read it wrong, just trying to learn something //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Being the most efficient, that I understand. I must have just read some posts wrong because I thought it was being said that reaching the same linear travel with less power means louder for cheaper.

Back to the two speaker scenario, two speakers with 2" p2p linear travel, one gets there with 100watts and one gets there with 1000watts, do they both have the same level of sound? Is the efficiency we are talking about reaching linear travel, or producing sound?

I know nothing of physics, so I try to use real world examples for myself. Lets say I am shooting a paper clip with a rubber band. I hold the rubber band loose and pull the paper clip back a quarter inch and let it go...the paper clip won't go far. Yet if I pull the rubber band tight and pull the paper clip back a quarter inch it will fly. Basically the same linear movement but more energy is applied to the paper clip. Is it the same with soundwaves? If a cone only travels 2" p2p will a "loose" woofer/enclosure with 100w give off as much energy to a sound wave as a cone traveling 2" p2p in a "tight" woofer/enclosure with 1000w would?

Also energy is never lost just changes form, like heat, or sound waves. So if 900w extra is going to a woofer of the same linear travel I can't believe that all 900 is changing to heat and not making anymore sound than the speaker taking 100w to reach that linear travel.

Maybe I'm dwelling too much on linear travel not meaning efficiency, or maybe I'm just dense (which is entirely possible) Just trying to understand how things work //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

you had it right, there's a lot more to it than just linear travel and it's not so important if the sub wangs just as much as the other. more to it than efficiency also. you have to take ALL the factors into consideration.

don't let anyone bullpoop you into a tunnel visioned point of view.

i'm sure you've seen it, and ask yourself the question. if more linear travel = louder and sounds better, than how come you can observe one sub playing with 1/2 the travel of another, but yet they're both as loud. it's like the second one is running the hell out of it's mouth, and not saying anything more than the other less spoken one.

different engineers have their different designs. of course each will argue why his is better than the others. if you happen to like the work of one engineer, does that mean that the idea's of the others are wrong or not good?

they each have their place.

you had it right, there's a lot more to it than just linear travel and it's not so important if the sub wangs just as much as the other. more to it than efficiency also. you have to take ALL the factors into consideration.
don't let anyone bullpoop you into a tunnel visioned point of view.

i'm sure you've seen it, and ask yourself the question. if more linear travel = louder and sounds better, than how come you can observe one sub playing with 1/2 the travel of another, but yet they're both as loud. it's like the second one is running the hell out of it's mouth, and not saying anything more than the other less spoken one.

different engineers have their different designs. of course each will argue why his is better than the others. if you happen to like the work of one engineer, does that mean that the idea's of the others are wrong or not good?

they each have their place.
nope wrong foo da more da bizh move da more loud dat bizh get and datz why dem dd subs aint loud and dont sounds good cuz day aint movin like my tc woof with da alimenum cone, pluz aluimnium is light do dat makes dat **** like more accuraete joo no what i am zayin?"

DD has never even made a driver that has more than about 20mm of linear travel. With the basket they use, they can't even really make it past about 2.25" of p2p travel. Why would I want to use 40kW to move less than 2" linear p2p, when I can use a tiny fraction of that, and get vastly more linear travel, and far less distortion?

I didn't bother to read the rest of the thread so please forgive me. Using that train of thought though would that mean the 06 XXX with its 4-5 inches of xmax result in better SQ?

nope wrong foo da more da bizh move da more loud dat bizh get and datz why dem dd subs aint loud and dont sounds good cuz day aint movin like my tc woof with da alimenum cone, pluz aluimnium is light do dat makes dat **** like more accuraete joo no what i am zayin?"

Im retarded???? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.