JLW6: Ported or sealed?

rcergo
10+ year member

So i will soon be hooking up one Jl 12w6v2 and a gpv 2000.1 in the trunk of my corolla and I was wondering what kind of enclosure I should get. Obviously I want a lot of bass but I don't want it to drown out the music itself with all of its thumping. Should I go with the ported or sealed box?

In my experience with w6s.. have had 3.. all v2.. a 10" and then 2 12".. they sound phenomenal in ported.. They are great subs so even ported they still sound as good or better than most sealed..

ported for sure on a w6

sounds a lot better and a lot more..deeeeeep and bellowing :]

But for real, a lot of my friends have them and the ones that sound the best are always ported.

If its too loud, you can upgrade your midrange or simply turn down the gain a little

You'll be happy with the w6 though

ported for sure on a w6sounds a lot better and a lot more..deeeeeep and bellowing :]

But for real, a lot of my friends have them and the ones that sound the best are always ported.

If its too loud, you can upgrade your midrange or simply turn down the gain a little

You'll be happy with the w6 though
this.. An overpowering sub is a much better scenario than an underpowering sub as you can adjust it down some.. it will also run smoother tuned down a notch rather than pumping a sub as hard as it can because its to weak..

I'm split because I've heard a lot of people say that sealed is hands down the way to go because of the sound quality, but I've also heard quite a few people say ported sounds better.

ported. CA.com members have very very very very good ears (those of us that aren't deaf yet)

Ported sounds better. Just keep that amp and turn down the gain and you will be amazed

I've never owned that amp..

I can't really tell you what "tuning" for the amp you should do. Just play with it until you find the "Sweet Spot"

You'll know you're there when you hear it and it sounds perfect on every song

As for the box, follow JL's Ported box specs

I originally had mine sealed, but when I went ported it got a lot louder, and still sounds fantastic. Just go with the JL specs for that sub, 1.5 ft.^3 @ 32.5 hz. and I think you will be very happy.

JL W6V2 is a pure SQ woofer and should be sealed. I see dbfan already said that though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

ported. CA.com members have very very very very good ears (those of us that aren't deaf yet)
Ported sounds better. Just keep that amp and turn down the gain and you will be amazed
Um, no, actually. 95% of people on here are just concerned about being loud. A stereo with bass over 140dB isn't exactly what I would call good sounding even if the bass is clean. For that to blend properly with your mids and highs, they would have to be so loud that it would be uncomfortable for you to sit in the car. Believe it or not, SQ is not just having clear sounding loud speakers in your car like most people on here think it is when they say something is SQ oriented.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.