JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

It's probably so they don't have to wait to box it up. They probably glue it and it's sitting on a container ship while the glue is still drying lol
lmao you are probably right about that. I swear when I opened the box that I could catch the faint scent of the sweat and tears of children from a 3rd world country.

lmao you are probably right about that. I swear when I opened the box that I could catch the faint scent of the sweat and tears of children from a 3rd world country.

What material does it print? Pods for components is obvious but you could always do accents for your box, raised letters or other fancy looking trim type pieces. Flares for ports also come to mind.
I had a pair of those old Aura components long ago, gave them to one of my brothers... also had some of the Aura amps of that era. They made some great equipment.
My printer will print PLA and PETG. Great ideas, I was thinking of printing some logos to attach to my box.

Mark (Car Audio Fabrication) did a video or two with the 3d printer and an awesome looking amp rack. You should check it out. It may get the creative juices flowing.
Check out SoundmanCA on youtube. He had some tweeter pods 3d printed for his F150 build. Turned out nice.
Thank you! Great ideas on those channels. That 3D printed amp rack is sick! Definitely getting the wheels turning on what I can do with this.

Looking good so far. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
I just bought one of those saws this past weekend for a job. It is my new favorite tool.
That tool is the best right? It's awesome to have so many attachments that can be used on almost any project. I went from cutting metal, to scraping wall paper, to cutting out door jams all with the same tool. Out-freakin-standing!

Time for more subwoofer pics. If you didn’t catch this already, these are Blaupunkt GBW801 8” subwoofers, available for $13 at Walmart.com. As I mentioned already, I am super impressed with these little guys. I really don’t know how they can sell these for $13 and still make money. Granted, I haven’t put power to them yet, so they could just go up in smoke.

First thing I noticed is that they actually use a rubber mounting gasket. I expected them to just be the basket on the back side and the paper ring glued on the top side (the SS8 I looked at had this). Next, the basket is painted with a textured, almost rubber-like, coating. Feels like much better quality than the cheap-o back paint you would typically see on a sub like this. The wire terminals are the round spring style, not the spade connectors you would expect. The spider has woven tinsel leads, again, nearly a $10 sub so why did they do this? Lol not complaining. The surround, meh, feels like a typical rubber surround but not super cheap. And as Kush pointed out, there is a screw down spider pack.

I’ve messed around with a few better quality 8” subs like the ED8 and RF P2, and this Blaupunkt sub feels just as good (actually it feels even better because of the price tag). If this test goes well, I may just order another 8 of these and a second APMI-2000 just to do something really retarded. I am for sure ordering a couple of the GBW1201’s just to play around with.

I’ve rambled enough, on with the pics…..

20180531_193800_zpsqhkfddfn.jpg

20180531_193819_zpsireb6dw4.jpg

20180531_193838_zpswrveyiw4.jpg

20180531_193853_zpsgznhqi86.jpg

20180531_211345_zpsmyfivtfj.jpg

Usually you see it on high powered subs, it just adds additional reinforcement reducing the chance of failure.
I agree and disagree

It's unnecessary if the sub is glued properly but I'm not a sub builder so I'm not going to get technical about it, just an opinion based on my observations.

How many of Fi's 4 inch coil subs do you see with it?

I agree and disagree
It's unnecessary if the sub is glued properly but I'm not a sub builder so I'm not going to get technical about it, just an opinion based on my observations.

How many of Fi's 4 inch coil subs do you see with it?
Oh I agree its overkill, but I like seeing it.

They jacked up the price on the 12s to $43
I'm glad I got mine when they were $15. Even at $43 they are still a good buy.

Usually you see it on high powered subs, it just adds additional reinforcement reducing the chance of failure.
You have to really botch building a woofer to have the spider separate from the landing, anything more than glue is unnecessary for strength. It's more likely the screws just help the 8 year old Chinese kids properly align the spider/coil as it is assembled.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.