JL W6 or W7 paired with JL HD 750/1

Participant count
  • Participant list

nags
10+ year member

If I were set on running a JL HD750/1 amp (https://www.jlaudio.com/collections...roducts/hd750-1-car-audio-hd-amplifiers-98220)

Which would y'all think would be a better match? a 12w6 or a 12w7? Seems like it'd be more than enough power for the W6 and maybe slightly underpowered for the W7?

12W7;

12W6;

Thanks in advance

I've owned both. That amplifier with either of those subs will be fine. Really it'll come down to personal preference and how much space you want to give up considering the w7 needs a bigger enclosure.
The w7 might be a little underpowered, but not enough to really give up any output. The w6 might be a little overpowered, but only a little and, in my opinion, that sub will handle it fine.

I've owned both. That amplifier with either of those subs will be fine. Really it'll come down to personal preference and how much space you want to give up considering the w7 needs a bigger enclosure.
The w7 might be a little underpowered, but not enough to really give up any output. The w6 might be a little overpowered, but only a little and, in my opinion, that sub will handle it fine.

Thanks for the input. I've always wanted a W7 but for the price difference it seems like the W6 may be the way to go.

Thanks for the input. I've always wanted a W7 but for the price difference it seems like the W6 may be the way to go.
My w7 was a beautiful speaker that sounded great, but I will tell you as far as sound quality, I loved my w6's. The w7 was definitely louder, but something about the way the w6's played, I absolutely loved.

My w7 was a beautiful speaker that sounded great, but I will tell you as far as sound quality, I loved my w6's. The w7 was definitely louder, but something about the way the w6's played, I absolutely loved.

Thanks again. Looks like I'm sold. Now to get with Buck for a box.

I never owned a 10. I don't know how much the sound will change between the 10 and the 12, but power handling is the same, so that's up to you

I wouldn't downsize. The whole reason why you don't completely love your current setup is because of output so it would be strange to buy a smaller sub even if it's technically better

Just looking for what would sound the best with that specific amp being that I plan on grabbing the one technobass is selling. Just want to make sure I've decided on a sub before making any moves and before having Buck move forward on my box.

From 250rms sub to 750rms sub is not downsize,
I was referring to cone area. He's currently running a 12 inch ported so yes a 10 inch is a downsize.

When your sole complaint is output you usually don't go and lower cone area, especially when you know you have the space for it (even if the 10 inch is a much better sub it's an oxymoron to go buy a smaller sub when your issue is output)

Last edited:
I was referring to cone area. He's currently running a 12 inch ported so yes a 10 inch is a downsize.

When your sole complaint is output you usually don't go and lower cone area, especially when you know you have the space for it (even if the 10 inch is a better sub it's an oxymoron to go buy a smaller sub when your issue is output)

Alright so the 10 is off the table lol. Understood.

If you're looking to sound good on low-ish power and aren't scared of the price tag JL won't disappoint.

I've always been impressed with w7 in a large-ish box. IF you do not have enough room to run a 12" driver the 10 will probably outperform it. Do NOT buy based on cone area if you aren't prepared to give up enough space for the correct box.

Just want to make sure I've decided on a sub before making any moves and before having Buck move forward on my box.
I would actually do the opposite since Truck builds can be tricky . Tell buck your vechicle, where you want the subs mounted, listening goals, power range, and then ask him what he recommends for the space you have available.

That's alot better of a method then "I bought this sub, try to make the box fit/work"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...