JL might not be all that..

sealed does not shorten the life of the sub. in no way or shape who ever said that slap them. most "prefab" sub boxes are made generically. if you get a box actually made to specs for the sub you will be amazed.

Those subs are decent.Ran a pair in a slot ported approx 1.75 cu.ft.(each sub)..wired in parallel down to 2 ohms.JL subs are good SQ subs .If you are looking for groundpounding bass,you might want to go with a SPL set-up.

I have 2 JL 12w3v2's in a ported box running 850rms. They do get loud. I have them in 3.7 @ 30Hz. I had them in a sealed box prior....dont know what the specs are. It was pretty loud in there also, but not as loud as ported.....however the box was smaller.

1.meet sub box spec's = better sound

2.sealed does not shorten the life of the sub, but does, supposedly, deliver higher sq

3.GAM3OVR likes to hate on my current sub box hard.

i've heard good systems with ported boxes but i'm doubting it's for me with my set up. i barley know how to crossover on my HU, I'm not trying to go out of my way to accommodate something if i don't need to. as you can see, i have no problem with ported seeing that it was my natural choice but for space reasons, sounds like sealed is my route.. much appreciation for the input. i miss anything?

3.GAM3OVR likes to hate on my current sub box hard.
That box is pretty atrocious. Prefab bandpass boxes are just the worst. I know; I used to have one myself years ago. A properly built bandpass box is built specifically for a specific sub. It's not like how most subs work well in X sized ported boxes tuned to X hz...bandpass boxes are very picky and have to be built exactly right to work out the way they're supposed to with that specific woofer.

What don't you like about the current box, or what is it lacking in your opinion?

pros

it fits my trunk nice and looks fancy

cons

1.it does not hit hard. my friends all have slightly boarder line walmart subs and their x2 louder then mine..and at times...even sound better.

2. when i played them loud long ago...my car began to smell :p smoke filled my back seat once even (i absolutely hate to admit that)

3.i feel at times the hits are delayed or off beat even (all these without my amp turned up high)

I've felt since they we're installed that my JL's have never been put to full use. I fear I'm wasting them in my trunk. It might have to do with how my crossovers are set, i've been looking more into how to do that properly. I got them installed at best buy (i know) and the only adjustments they made crossover wise was with the amps while my head unit has far better control of the xover's so i'm trying to handle that... It's hard to learn more about this stuff without having NO interaction in person..I read, test, fail and ask repeatedly..its been a long road for me...but it digress.

the amp you have is an amazing amp, you would get a lot more output with say

2 PHOENIX GOLD RSdC124 12" 2400 WATT CAR SUB WOOFERS - eBay (item 290411759588 end time Apr-08-10 13:48:14 PDT)

2 of these

amazing subs 4 the price i was amazed get really loud and sound good. and can wire to 1 ohm to utilize the whole amp.

Hertzlocker - JL Audio 10w3v3 Subwoofer Box

they will make you a dual box for your jl audio subs to specs for a good price email them if your not confident in your handmanship or viveet on here

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Sweet'n Low

10+ year member
Harshaw
Sweet'n Low
Springfield-Dayton, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date