JL might not be all that..

any good box builder/designer could make 30$ subs sound better then your JL's in that crap. the box makes more of a difference than the sub itself. a good builder will use T/S specs, and some kind of software to get airspace/port tuning accurate. you'll be amazed when you switch those to either a ported or sealed box done right. you don't need new subs right away, unless you just want them. no sub on earth will sound good in that box you have.

Sure there is ported setups that sound good. But the best SQ setups are sealed. I only run sealed....SQL.
the term "SQL" is something i wish never came out.

spend the time and monen where it matters and a SPL based sub could sound just as good as a SQ setup

a sub that is designed to work ported, in a box designed around the sub, will have sq just as nice sounding as sealed. those JL w3's would probably sound quite nice in a ported box tuned 30-32hz, with optimal air space. there are alot of subs that will actually have better sq ported, than sealed. box design dependant obviously.

forget all this lol just go into the enclosure threads and post what kind of subs u have, the dimensions of your trunk, and ask if someone will build you the box or give you box plans. People are very helpful in the enclosure threads. People that know boxes want to share their knowledge and challenge themselves usually. It's kool cuz u can ask them everything ur asking here and u'll get clear answers w/o all the bull$hit lol... not saying theres anything wrong with the bull$hit... i just hate when people try to argue things when they dont know what theyre talking about... like CarAudioNewbie... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif i mean his name says it all... why should anyone take advise from someone liek that. He argues that hifinocs and audiopipes are the best amps and MB Quartz are the greatest sounding speakers and sealed boxes always have the best SQ, etc... its rediculously annoying. I still consider myself a CA newb cuz idk half the $hit these guys talk about half the time... but i listen and learn. I dont preech $hit idk about. So go checkout the enclosure threads and see what groudn you can cover

JL doesnt sound good in ported.... SEALED is the king for SQ.
Sure there is ported setups that sound good. But the best SQ setups are sealed. I only run sealed....SQL.
Please for the love of god, keep yer mouf shut

You dont know a **** thing about car audio, dont be giving out your walmart installer advice.

Best in terms of what exactly?
x2

That box is pretty atrocious. Prefab bandpass boxes are just the worst. I know; I used to have one myself years ago. A properly built bandpass box is built specifically for a specific sub. It's not like how most subs work well in X sized ported boxes tuned to X hz...bandpass boxes are very picky and have to be built exactly right to work out the way they're supposed to with that specific woofer.
What don't you like about the current box, or what is it lacking in your opinion?
I'd say his box lacks everything I would look for in a box. Most of those prefabs are put together without any wood glue or even screws. I pulled apart a few prefabs w/ just my hands. And people wonder why the performance is shitty.

any good box builder/designer could make 30$ subs sound better then your JL's in that crap. the box makes more of a difference than the sub itself. a good builder will use T/S specs, and some kind of software to get airspace/port tuning accurate. you'll be amazed when you switch those to either a ported or sealed box done right. you don't need new subs right away, unless you just want them. no sub on earth will sound good in that box you have.
Yeah those w3v3s will sound better in a low tuned ported box, but will still sound great in a well built sealed enclosure.

Ask kcdc, he heard my two 350 watt infinity kappa perfects 12.1 in a 2.0 cubic foot box. Very small box but the things performance amazingly well

forget all this lol just go into the enclosure threads and post what kind of subs u have, the dimensions of your trunk, and ask if someone will build you the box or give you box plans. People are very helpful in the enclosure threads. People that know boxes want to share their knowledge and challenge themselves usually. It's kool cuz u can ask them everything ur asking here and u'll get clear answers w/o all the bull$hit lol... not saying theres anything wrong with the bull$hit... i just hate when people try to argue things when they dont know what theyre talking about... like CarAudioNewbie... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif i mean his name says it all... why should anyone take advise from someone liek that. He argues that hifinocs and audiopipes are the best amps and MB Quartz are the greatest sounding speakers and sealed boxes always have the best SQ, etc... its rediculously annoying. I still consider myself a CA newb cuz idk half the $hit these guys talk about half the time... but i listen and learn. I dont preech $hit idk about. So go checkout the enclosure threads and see what groudn you can cover
Good man here. lol

All very very helpful information, its been a while since I've learned this much in one self-posted thread. I'm gonna turn my subs down to avoid damage and head to the enclosure thread see if I can get me a new box. Not much I can think to ask, appreciate the help. Any additional info?

All very very helpful information, its been a while since I've learned this much in one self-posted thread. I'm gonna turn my subs down to avoid damage and head to the enclosure thread see if I can get me a new box. Not much I can think to ask, appreciate the help. Any additional info?
awesome. let us know how things turn out

Those prefab bandpass boxes are **** and are only good for cheap, entry-level subs. The reason why you don't see too many bandpass-style setups in a car is because the enormous enclosure and complex design it requires for the subs to perform properly.

Even if you buy a prefab SEALED box with about 1.5 cubic feet of airspace each with 100% polyfill(or pillow stuffings - much cheaper) will sound much better than that booolame box. Your JL subs will work in a ported box and most likely be louder than in a sealed box but that all depends on the person.

Only on CA.com can you have a discussion about sealed vs. ported enclosures, and have no mention of the effect of the vehicle's cabin transfer function on the results...

Only on CA.com can you have a discussion about sealed vs. ported enclosures, and have no mention of the effect of the vehicle's cabin transfer function on the results...
lol.

The sq. more sq. less sq. best sq. too detailed for me.

I want more sq. about 10 more. Or 6 dB more. To get 6dB more sq i'll need 4x the sq, right?

no offense to the OP, but it seems to me that explaining cabin transfer to a guy who is rolling with JL's in a prefab bandpass, might go understood for a few years. not to mention compensating and building around that, even if he understood cabin transfer. you'd be explaining algebra before he even understands addition.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.