JL Audio Sub Problem

Pavlik1

NJ
I have two JL Audio 10W1v2-4 (10 inch), and it is being powered by a Total Mobile Auto 500 RMS watt amp. One sub alone puts out 300 watts RMS and 600 watts peak power. I was playing my subs pretty loud and they started to smell like crap, like something burning. I researched what happened and some people are saying I am underpowering my subs. Do you think I need a bigger amp or is a 500 watt RMS amp good enough for these subs? Help me out. Thanks.

never in the history of car audio was a sub damaged due to too little power,

you have to turn your gains down, what your doing is clipping/sending dirty signal.

just a ? what size power wire are you running.

I'd be willing to bet you are overdriving your amplifier. Is your enclosure sealed or ported? Are you using bass boost, loudness, maxing bass out on the head unit, etc.?

If one needs to use a lot of bass boost to reach the levels of output that they think they should attain, something is wrong with the system design. Either the sub/enclosure/vehicle combination is totally wrong or the power is way out of proportion. I tend to design my ported enclosures to give me a little more low end bloat than I need after taking cabin gain into consideration. That way I can either EQ the bloat out or not run the amplifier as hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.