JL Audio, Focal, etc... = Justified pricing?

kn7671

Hello fellow car audio people. Do you feel the pricing of JL Audio, Focal, etc (supposed high end) are justified for the pricing?

For example, a JL Audio HD750/1 is a good solid 750-850 watt amp and costs $750.00 USD. Compare that to an AudioControl LC-1.800 for $400 or a Pioneer GM-8601 for $115-200, both very solid 750-850 watt amps.

Assuming you're using a DSP and you don't need any of the cross-overs, etc, how would you justify to yourself to purchase something higher end?

no. i just got a RF Prime amp, brand new off Amazon for $115. does almost 650 watts at 2 ohms. scoped it myself. nice looking amp too, and seems very solid, build wise

I've been running a prime 600.5 in 3 different vehicles and in different configurations since 2013. Im very hard on it. Been using it for over a year in my work vehicle. I drive with it on for around 12 hours a day and im not easy it. Ive had it running bridged on the stereo channels and running the sub channel at 2 ohm (lowest rated handling ohm) for a while for a while in a previous vehicle.Holds up and Confident it does rated plus some. Never heard of any primes testing under rated. All I've seen is them doing over rated. They are put together nicely Solid amps.

Hello fellow car audio people. Do you feel the pricing of JL Audio, Focal, etc (supposed high end) are justified for the pricing?
For example, a JL Audio HD750/1 is a good solid 750-850 watt amp and costs $750.00 USD. Compare that to an AudioControl LC-1.800 for $400 or a Pioneer GM-8601 for $115-200, both very solid 750-850 watt amps.

Assuming you're using a DSP and you don't need any of the cross-overs, etc, how would you justify to yourself to purchase something higher end?
Quality cost money ....

While I would normally agree that quality costs money, in your opinion, what are you getting for an extra $550 to $635 from JL Audio? Outside of R.I.P.S which allows full power from 1.5 to 4.0 ohms, where's the extra money? Is all this money the 2-year warranty? Is it marketing? Could you or anyone "hear" the difference? when power output is verified to be equal?

While I would normally agree that quality costs money, in your opinion, what are you getting for an extra $550 to $635 from JL Audio? Outside of R.I.P.S which allows full power from 1.5 to 4.0 ohms, where's the extra money? Is all this money the 2-year warranty? Is it marketing? Could you or anyone "hear" the difference? when power output is verified to be equal?
Sorta like buying a new Bentley or a Malibu they both serve the same purpose basic transportation ...

But personally I prefer old school quality American made amps ...and not a big fan of Chinese made amps or max Sonics distortion boxes ...the early Japanese made amps seem to be quality ..so do the Korean made amps ..and I have seen some Chinese amps that are pretty nice that were made for some companies that do have a quality standard like Alpine for instance ..I run a JL 3 ch mini amp in my C3 corvette because it fit my bill of what I wanted in the install and due to lack of space ..it sounds good and I have no complaints..

Sorta like buying a new Bentley or a Malibu they both serve the same purpose basic transportation ...
That's a horrible anology to relate it to if you don't give any details. Were not talking automobiles were talking amps. The only way that even gets close is if you say; Its like comparing a Bentley to a Malibu if you were be tied up, blindfolded, and riding in the trunk stuffed with Styrofoam peanuts, and then you randomly get hit on some part of the vehicle. Which one would you rather be in?

OP, you really are paying for quality and a name. You know names like JL audio, Focal, Kenwood, Alpine, ETC... because they have been doing this for a long time and have built up a reputation. A reputation that has earned enough respect that you are willing to pay more for it. They have an established company with a quality customer service, expanded sales (so you have more options), a research dept. to stay at the front. You are buying in that if something goes wrong, they will want to fix it and not want you spreading bad publicity.

On the other side, an actual product, yes you are paying for quality. You are paying for tighter tolerances, better testing, a better quality control so that amp that was bad was found at the factory and you didn't have to bother with finding it for yourself then going through the hassle. Then of course different components can have better materials, but what that usually means is you are paying 50% more for a 1-2% improvement. This may be in sound quality reduction distortion, or improving components they have learned are the first to go bad.

For less money you can just get a 3000 watt amp which will do 750 at 4 ohms and you can wire down to half if you like... Would be the same power after box rise as having the JL HD 750.1 with the RIPs system.

The RIPS amps are actually good if you are trying to compete in a power restricted category in spl comps since you'll be putting out waaaay more watts than most of the other amps subjected to typical box rise. Otherwise, its a status symbol more than anything.

I just sold my truck and system in my sig. It was 13 yrs old and besides the 880 shitting the bed and replacing it with a 80 it was all original and still sounded like the day I bought it. AND I bought the JL's used off e bay in 03! They are 15 yrs old. The guy who bought my truck is still using them. I just bought a new truck and am looking at a similiar system and will be asking for recommendations. Jl is on my list!

no!! they're not worth the $ definitely not the amps, u can get a twisted sound 1.3k or wolfram 1500 for $$279-$289 and they're korean amps.. like he said rf 750-1200 and u said the pioneer amps tested very well (i'll post link to OUR guys youtube amp dyno channel if u haven't seen it) just know the pioneers don't have ss filter if using ported box.. click videos and u will see all he's done in just past few months (most are $200 or less) https://www.youtube.com/user/bigblank69/videos?disable_polymer=1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.