JL Audio 500/1 Having Issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

Icarus02

So, the other day I was driving with the stereo fairly loud and my subwoofer amp cut out. I could not find any blown fuses within the wiring. The amp also still powers on and sends a signal (very weak one) to the subwoofers. At first I thought I may have toasted my subwoofers, but I tried some old JL w0's and it still did not work. I was wondering if anyone would have any idea what could have happened that I am not seeing?

My setup is as follows:

an older Pioneer DEH-450MP head unit with front RCA's running to Sony XM-504X amplifier for speakers, and rear RCA's running to JL Audio 500/1 for subwoofers (2x Alpine SWS-1043D) and then the RCA outputs from the JL amp are running to the Sony Amplifier. The power cable is 4 gauge wiring from the battery to a 2 farad Tsunami capacitor and then to the amplifiers.

If anyone knows what could be wrong, please let me know, thanks!

1st check your ground

2nd check voltage on the (+) term of the amp as well as the voltage on the remote wire

3rd check signal voltage coming from the head unit or whatever feeds the 500/1 on the rca cables

if they are the round style fuse....replace it anyway. That may clear it up. this goes along with checking the voltage at the + on the amp though.

jason

For this particular head unit, there is no subwoofer output, that is why I use the rear output for both amplifiers. This worked fine up until it stopped working (about 6 months).

As far as the voltage goes, the numbers were consistent all along the power wire.

The ground for both amplifiers is a common ground through the capacitor. The signal itself along the rear RCA outputs is coming through the JL amp fine and into the Sony amp for the speakers. It just seems as if the signal is not being amplified, but rather, passively placed to the subwoofers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.