Jeep cherokee headlight flickering problem

texicanz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
moline,il
When i turn up my radio in my 2000 jeep cherokee the headlights and the interrior lights flicker & i only have a mbquart dsc480 amp & i did the big 3 with 4 gauge wire and i add extra ground to the amp and the alternator was tested and good and im still having the problem any help be apperciated

Might need 2 gauge wire instead of 4. Any idea what the original wire gauge was before you changed the big 3? Also.....where is your gain set at on the amp?

When i turn up my radio in my 2000 jeep cherokee the headlights and the interrior lights flicker & i only have a mbquart dsc480 amp & i did the big 3 with 4 gauge wire and i add extra ground to the amp and the alternator was tested and good and im still having the problem any help be apperciated
Heres a piece of info on the infamous cherokee headlight probs. The factory wiring *****!!! Huge power loss in just the factory wiring alone, add that to any voltage drop at all and you end up with flashing/dimming headlights. Heres what i did to check my heep for this problem. Start it up, turn the headlights on and use a multimeter to check dc voltage at the bulb, I had to remove the bulb, then plug it in and let it hang so i could probe the backside of the plug. It should be pretty close to the same voltage as the battery itself. But on mine (and most others ive checked) i had 11.4vdc to the bulb when the battery was showing 14.1!!!! How did i fix it? I rewired it. I used two 30amp relays, one for the low beam and one for the highbeam, and 10g wire to the bulbs with cheap autozone headlamp plugs. The difference was night and day. I had 13.9 to the bulbs afterwards. And the brightness of the bulbs was unreal. A very worthy upgrade in my book.

I end up adding 2 gauge to all the grounds and still the same issue and i lower the gain and i still notice little less flickering

My interrior lights flicker too when volume is turn up
the interior lights are powered by the headlight switch. Test the voltage at the headlights, or pull the dome light bulb and test it there with the jeep running and ill bet its less than ideal.

Headlighta dim because voltage is being lowered faster than it can charge. Adding bigger wires helps ease the electrical systems bu allowing more current to flow freely which...drains more voltage.

Add another battery or get a HO alt

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.