JCHARGU3 (aka BUCKET)'s Build a year in the making 2005 GMC Sierra EXT Cab

jchargu3
10+ year member

CLICK THE TINY PICS TO MAKE THEM BIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year I bought 2 - DD1508's from OXSIGN, he's a good friend and fellow truck club member and trust his every word on audio so I knew I was getting good stuff.

I came up with a plan.. The box will be under the rear seat, fastened to the cab with a special locking mechanism that im putting together..

Amps and wiring go behind the seat backrest, but this truck only has a fold up seat bottom so I had to modify it to work to where the backrest folded down as well... Simple.

Originally I was also going to mount my Whelen strobe box in the interior but decided against it due to space and I don't want a lot of stuff behind the seat, just whats needed to run the audio.

Originally I was going to run an Elemental Nine.1 and an elemental Nine.2, I got the nine.1 and got things setup then ran out of money because my job started getting slower so I just kept it as it was for a year....

NOW IM RESURRECTING THE BUILD

To make adjusting and checking things easier, I'll be installing 2 - white leds on either side of the wall to shine on the amp adjustments.

I still need to do the big three upgrade, this may happen on sunday.

On to the build up stuff.

On 9/24/08

I got the particle board to make the "rack" That weekend I cut it, and covered it in grey material, then started installing.

I had gotten an old, no good Optima yellow top that I traded in at pepboys for a BRAND NEW one no charge, and got it installed pretty quickly.

9/28/2008

Amp on the back wall (mine was test fitting/uncovered yet)

Amp rack removed

10/19/08

Bought an optima yellow top off craigslist for 30 bucks, it looked new but was no good....

Took it to pepboys today, and got it exchanged for FREE!!!!

One pic is the new battery, one pic is the old battery, but this is just to show how I ended up installing/securing the 0awg to the fuse box and so on, it looks pretty decent, not as centered as I wanted it but I didnt have enough to make it work the way I wanted... so this would have to do just fine.

I will be making a bracket for this to attach to and filling the holes on the fuse box and painting it again so there are no holes.

New

Old

10/26/2008

Went and bought some grey carpet to match the interior and made things look a little more pleasing.

I removed allt he jute and covered the cab areas to make it all match too!

The next plan to finish the aesthetics is to SEW the upper portion to another part of carpet that will run down to the amp board, and then stick to the cab walls on either side of the amp board... it'll complete the smooth carpeted look

I've been looking for a place to mount the amp knob where it wouldn't look like complete ****... and I wanted it to be removeable and so on easily without having to drill into anything, so I used more industrial strength velco and mounted it to the ASH Tray (aka change holder) drawer.. It is a perfect fit, and i can still open the change catcher

Better pic of the battery witht he other lens

and better pic of the rear wall with the other lens

Yes, I know, I used velcro, not the best choice, but it certainly isn't the worst..

When I gut the truck for Raam Mat installation I will glue everything to the wall.

CRAP I lost all of my box pics!

well, here are the measurements I used for the box, and the note to the guy building the box for me underneath

BUCKETSBOX2.jpg

Got the box pics, none of the actual building but this should still work

Bucketsbox008.jpg

Bucketsbox010.jpg

Bucketsbox011.jpg

Cut for 8" DD 1508

Bucketsbox012.jpg

the port fires to the rear of the cab, and it sounds just fine, no noise other than my roof vibrating

Bucketsbox013.jpg

Bucketsbox014.jpg

Bucketsbox015.jpg

The box will be covered in carpeting to match the floor and seats of my truck... When its finally covered I'll be working on a strap system to keep it tight to the floor/rear of the truck and that will have a lock on it so nobody can yank the box

I'm also going to be putting togetehr a security system for the audio section only... They can get past the overall security system easily if they know what they are doing, but they wont be able to get past this, hidden siren, hidden sensors and it'll be LOUD as hell... Since most break ins occur at peoples homes, this will definately bring some attention... But more on that later

He was concerned with people kicking the subs if they were forward. So we tried it firering to the sides to see if we can get them to load off of the door panels.

What he said. Since i haul kids and people frequently I didnt want shoes ending up through the front of one of the subs... I hate the way grills look so this was perfect. also once carpeted it'll be nearly impossible to tell its a sub box through any of the windows since you cant see amps, speakers or anything

it would take someone fully knowing my setup to be able to get it once im done and there will only be 1-2 people other than me that know how the locking and security mechanisms work.

So far i like it, once i get the wiring done i'll see if I want to get Dual 4ohm subs and wire them to 1 ohm but again, So far it seems to be working pretty well. I have the new amp installed temporarily on the old wiring just to see how its doing and let me tell you I cant WAIT to get all the new stuff in..

Because im on the older setup I have not even began to push things to their potential... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Im waiting on some connectors and i'll start re-wiring...

Theres also more to this buildup picture wise, i'll be getting to that sometime tomorrow have too much to do today

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.