JBL W12GTi MkII

QueSound15
10+ year member

I know a thing or two....
Hey guys. I wanna start a more sound quality focused build in the neon, lol.

i have heard this sub is a great SQ sub that puts out a good amount of SPL as well, which I love my loudness!

any opinions on the sub, box recommendations, power recommendations, stuff like that will be greatly appreciated.

please help me out!

I think people on DIYMA have had quite a bit of experience with these. As for amplifier, these handle a lot of power, but will do well with a low power amplifier. WinISD suggests a 1.85cu ft sealed box for qtc of 0.707 and F3 of about 45Hz, but 1.1cu ft box still gives you a respectable qtc of 0.8. Obviously bigger may be better if you can spare the space. Considering the depth of this subwoofer, you need a quite deep box anyways (11inch depth). Looks pretty good in ported box too, something like 2cu ft tuned to 25Hz or so. This looks like a pretty flexible subwoofer, besides the ginormous mounting depth.

I think people on DIYMA have had quite a bit of experience with these. As for amplifier, these handle a lot of power, but will do well with a low power amplifier. WinISD suggests a 1.85cu ft sealed box for qtc of 0.707 and F3 of about 45Hz, but 1.1cu ft box still gives you a respectable qtc of 0.8. Obviously bigger may be better if you can spare the space. Considering the depth of this subwoofer, you need a quite deep box anyways (11inch depth). Looks pretty good in ported box too, something like 2cu ft tuned to 25Hz or so. This looks like a pretty flexible subwoofer, besides the ginormous mounting depth.
Mounting depth I'm not worried about since I had the RE XXX 12 2010 series just before this. Mounting depth on it is like 12-13" lol. I have heard really great things about this woofer. Saying it gets loud on low power and also blows you away on higher power and it drops down to hit those lowest of the lows. All the while retaining some awesome sound quality. I had the xxx in 3.76 cubes ported at ~35 so less than that space is even better and more ideal.

bump......only amp i can think of that will feed this beast close to rated power if I only got a single sub, wired down to 3 ohms, would be a jl slash 1000.....nothing would do that much without a lot to back it up...

or i could get the alpine mrx-m240, that would work wonders on 1, and even be great for 2!

must get 2 and wire down to 1.5!!!

JBL's specs say you'll want a 4.0 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 28Hz for best and flattest response and that's pretty accurate to what you should expect. You don't need to give it the 1K, but if you're already looking at that slash amp and can find it for the right price, go for it. For good cheap power, look into some Cadence or AB. If you want full baller status, MMATS.

These are my plans for a new set up..............

2 JBL W12GTi MkII subs wired down to 1.5 ohms, or 1 wired to 3...depending on cash flow

custom box for 1-2, gain depends on cash flow.

alpine mrx-m240 for power, or other amp recommendations are accepted.

then 0 gauge all the way around, 2-3 xs D3100's (probably just 2) then an xs xp950 under the hood or something that will fit in that location.

and a 220amp High Output Alt.

how is this set up sounding? going for great SQ with a little to a good amount of spl

if all goes to plan this will all be purchased over the summer.

JBL's specs say you'll want a 4.0 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 28Hz for best and flattest response and that's pretty accurate to what you should expect. You don't need to give it the 1K, but if you're already looking at that slash amp and can find it for the right price, go for it. For good cheap power, look into some Cadence or AB. If you want full baller status, MMATS.
i was hoping to put at least 750rms to them....that way they will be loud as well as sound amazing

i was hoping to put at least 750rms to them....that way they will be loud as well as sound amazing
Yeah, you can get incredible SQL out of those GTi subs. Here's a couple amps I found that you could consider:

Audio Savings | Cadence ZRS-C1 Competition 2250 Watt RMS Mono Car Amplifier Amp 24dB Crossover

PANEL LAYOUT (M2000.1D)

Keep in mind that 4 cubes I mentioned above is for a vented enclosure, but does not mean you're going to be sacrificing on SQ. If you've got the space, definitely go ported if you intend to be loud.

Yeah, you can get incredible SQL out of those GTi subs. Here's a couple amps I found that you could consider:
Audio Savings | Cadence ZRS-C1 Competition 2250 Watt RMS Mono Car Amplifier Amp 24dB Crossover

PANEL LAYOUT (M2000.1D)

Keep in mind that 4 cubes I mentioned above is for a vented enclosure, but does not mean you're going to be sacrificing on SQ. If you've got the space, definitely go ported if you intend to be loud.
i definitely planned on ported. I have heard very very great things about how loud these subs can get while still retaining that exceptional sound quality.

although i like that cadence amp a lot, would the alpine amp do just as well or better since it is made for the higher ohm load? i can fit the 4 cubes ported. i just saw they makes these in 10's also, now i cant decide between the 12's or 10's....probably the 12's because they are the same price as the 10's on onlinecarstereo.com these are only 299.99

i definitely planned on ported. I have heard very very great things about how loud these subs can get while still retaining that exceptional sound quality. although i like that cadence amp a lot, would the alpine amp do just as well or better since it is made for the higher ohm load? i can fit the 4 cubes ported. i just saw they makes these in 10's also, now i cant decide between the 12's or 10's....probably the 12's because they are the same price as the 10's on onlinecarstereo.com these are only 299.99
Honestly, I wouldn't but from OCS. They have a knack for listing stuff that's not in stock and you could end up waiting on your sub for a long while. At least call beforehand to confirm it is, in fact, in stock.

As for the Alpine amp, it'll definitely be a solid choice and you'll have more than enough headroom for your application. May want to consider upgrading your electrical though since it has 175A of fusing. At least the Big 3 and probably a second battery/HO alt will most likely be needed to run it.

Honestly, I wouldn't but from OCS. They have a knack for listing stuff that's not in stock and you could end up waiting on your sub for a long while. At least call beforehand to confirm it is, in fact, in stock.
As for the Alpine amp, it'll definitely be a solid choice and you'll have more than enough headroom for your application. May want to consider upgrading your electrical though since it has 175A of fusing. At least the Big 3 and probably a second battery/HO alt will most likely be needed to run it.
I alredy have done the big 3 in 0 gauge. and will be getting an xs power d3100 most likely. along with a 220amp high output alt. think that would be sufficient? or would i need another bat in the trunk?

Yeah, that should be more than sufficient. Just keep an eye on your voltage until you get the HO alt. Consider getting an aftermarket voltmeter that fixes on the dash or something like the 7-dollar dohickey I got at Amazon. Not the most accurate thing in the world, but it just plugs into your cigarette lighter socket so it's about the easiest thing you probably have installed yet.

Yeah, that should be more than sufficient. Just keep an eye on your voltage until you get the HO alt. Consider getting an aftermarket voltmeter that fixes on the dash or something like the 7-dollar dohickey I got at Amazon. Not the most accurate thing in the world, but it just plugs into your cigarette lighter socket so it's about the easiest thing you probably have installed yet.
Oh and the 4 cubes you quoted me on the box...was that for 1 or 2? Pretty sure 2 but I could be mistaking. Also how would it be if I tuned it a little higher than recommended? I was thinking 30, opinions on that?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.