JBL MS62c / 06 Passat Speaker Baffles

Participant count
  • Participant list
Additional note, I changed over how I'm setting the EQ. I have the AutoCal on my AVH-P8400 for general peace of mind, but am using a combo of my ears and the JL Audio app on my iPhone with the RTA set to Octave display rather than 1/3 octave.
Also, I went back in to the driver door and applied more deadener to the baffle itself after I realized that I could feel a ton of vibration just putting my fingertips on the bare wood portion of the baffle. I haven't gotten to the passenger door for additional coverage, so it's pretty easy to discern a difference. Overall, there's a ton of additional impact and separation in midrange music. I'm almost to the point where I'm getting a real snap from the kick drum, but know I'm really not going to get there without a beefier amp (Zed Leviathan will be installed hopefully by next year). I am going to have to re-do the passenger door after noticing this.
I hate my doors they still need work. Awesome move with the Zed. I f'ing love that beast.

Sounds good dude. Like I told West when he posted his vid up, personally, there's only so much I can tell from a compressed YouTube video played back through my laptop speakers. Just have to be there to get the full effect. But sounds good!

Hmmm I was going to throw some ID CTX65cs in my car, but now I may go with these. I did like the JBl power speakers a lot, and these look even better.

Hmmm I was going to throw some ID CTX65cs in my car, but now I may go with these. I did like the JBl power speakers a lot, and these look even better.
Like any set of comps, though, make sure you're paying attention to the install. Can definitely be very accurate, but need to be installed correctly.

Like any set of comps, though, make sure you're paying attention to the install. Can definitely be very accurate, but need to be installed correctly.
But of course //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Very well done btw.

Plus I'd like to try something new. I've had the ctx's before.

Have you heard them before? If so how do the tweeters compare?

But of course //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gifVery well done btw.

Plus I'd like to try something new. I've had the ctx's before.

Have you heard them before? If so how do the tweeters compare?
Thanks!

I was actually tossing back and forth the idea of the CTX vs these and decided on these for a couple reasons. First was the mounting depth since the JBLs are a little shallower. Second was the fact that the reviews and docs I was researching spent a lot of time covering the benefits of the JBL tweeters and I am VERY picky about tweeters being harsh since I'm really sensitive to sibilance.

Thanks!
I was actually tossing back and forth the idea of the CTX vs these and decided on these for a couple reasons. First was the mounting depth since the JBLs are a little shallower. Second was the fact that the reviews and docs I was researching spent a lot of time covering the benefits of the JBL tweeters and I am VERY picky about tweeters being harsh since I'm really sensitive to sibilance.
Ya mounting depth is an issue for me as well, I think I'd be pushing the limits with the CTX's.

I'm not so sensitive, I actually liked the tweets on my Kappa's lol. My gf is very sensitive and says they hurt her ears even at moderate volume, so maybe she'd appreciate the JBL's lol.

I think my mind is made up now lol.

OK guys, found a few new photos I took today after adding more AT CLD tiles to the driver door. Here's how it looks now:

FBBDB469-A9CB-4A87-8256-D3DC43B326DF.JPG

90CBAA2C-03C1-4F8F-BBCE-4A450EB6F4E7.JPG

1B54D5C2-1FC3-4F7F-AAB7-E104D565F43F.JPG

The extra coverage made a huge difference. Midbass response while driving at highway speeds was only slightly less powerful as with the car stopped and impact from drums and other percussive instruments was more prominent. Additionally, the tweeters are starting to be more apparent as the weak link in the system, but I chalk that up to their install location. I'm thinking that I'll move these up to tweeter pods halfway up the a-pillar which will result in a slightly higher than ear level location.

New video! Details of changes are in the intro. Ignore the thing about same relative volume. Forgot the last one was recorded at almost half HU volume.

[video=youtube;vEMT0-C_hq0]

I really wish my mic had picked up the sub frequencies, too. The attack of that kick bass was visceral. Still need to work on the midbass a bit to up the impact to be a bit more natural. The extra juice on that 36501's sub channel definitely is showing its worth.

Bringing this back from the dead for a quick update. The comps are still running passive, but now bridged on my 36501 and I have time aligned and EQ'd a bit. Even before TA and EQ, there's a definite improvement in impact and airiness to the point where you get a much better feel for the recording space. Once I took my RTA app and started taking care of the peaks (with a small boost in the 3.5-5k region), they really started coming alive. I'm finally getting that impact that I was missing from my drums. A snare hit actually has a reverb proportional to its space. Instruments have a tangible location. For instance, when I was listening to some Every Time I Die (hardcore's always recorded jacked up, but these guys somehow actually care how they sound recorded), I could tell the vocalist was up front, the drummer was off to the right of the vocalist, the bassist was in front of the drummer, and the guitarist almost danced around the soundstage at times. Additionally, the stage is at least on the dash, but it'll probably take a more accurate RTA than my phone to move it further onto the hood.

As a guilty pleasure, I also listened to the intro off of Orgy's "Vapor Transmission" album (great demo for staging, surprisingly) and you really get a sense of depth. Kinda surprises you as well when the beat starts dropping towards the end of the song.

So I'm continuing to be impressed by these and will have to post another couple videos when I fix my sub stage. For those of you who don't know, I encountered a weird situation where I can either have my front stage volumes match or have control of my sub while bridged, but not both at the same time. Going to add an OS Kenwood 2-channel for the ID10 to remedy this. Suffice to say, these comps definitely benefit from more power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.