iTunes Volume Adjustment Option

the easiest way to find out is to put the same song back to back.. do it to one and not the other.. play it in the car.. and see if its louder or not.. if it is than you could be bringing clipping in even if its at the amp because you are now possibly playing 0db or +3db music now..
Ok, well if anyone could do this for me, it would be super appreciated. I dont even have a deck in my car right now... But I do plan to use an iPod, so I can see where the issue may come in. I believe in iTunes it sells you the db of the song. I will raise one, and put one back to normal and see what it says. Doing that now...

not necessarily.. it could be louder when playing in apple which could also be your ipod plugged into your car.. just do what I said and it will let you know 100%
I moved the volume up and down... And of course it gets a lil louder in iTunes, but on the songs description the volume db does not change... More testing is needed. Lol.

Well, I created a copy of a song, made sure the volume adjuster was normal for it, and then boosted the original 100%. I made a playlist with both of them, checked their volumes again(just to be sure), and then synced my iPhone. I tested them out in my car, and there is a noticeable difference. I might try with a flash drive soon to see if it only affects Apple devices, but I know for sure that the volume adjuster boosts the song in some way.

It does boost the song on the input side. You would only want to do that to songs that come out sounding rather soft compared to others. It will put distortion into the song if done high enough. Something else you want to stay away from is the "level volume across all songs" as it makes every song match the softest one in the library. The best thing to do (is what I do at least), is just get another copy of a song if it is freakishly loud or soft comparative to its original recording. The higher the bitrate the better, unless of course someone along the line compressed it, then don't bring it back to 320+ as it makes them sound horrific. I have a library large enough that gapless isn't an option. My 25hz-50hz test tones are gapless, all music is either 192kbps or 128 for space constraints. Will it meter as well? No. Do you really notice in a vehicle that is demo/spl oriented? No.

It does boost the song on the input side. You would only want to do that to songs that come out sounding rather soft compared to others. It will put distortion into the song if done high enough. Something else you want to stay away from is the "level volume across all songs" as it makes every song match the softest one in the library. The best thing to do (is what I do at least), is just get another copy of a song if it is freakishly loud or soft comparative to its original recording. The higher the bitrate the better, unless of course someone along the line compressed it, then don't bring it back to 320+ as it makes them sound horrific. I have a library large enough that gapless isn't an option. My 25hz-50hz test tones are gapless, all music is either 192kbps or 128 for space constraints. Will it meter as well? No. Do you really notice in a vehicle that is demo/spl oriented? No.
Ok, I will work on making some of these changes. Thanks! I think I may have leveled all of the music, so I will check, and if so, I will uncheck that. Then I will bring all the songs back to regular volume.

Ok, so the volume leveler was set... I unset that. I turned all my songs to a gapless album, dont care for waiting a second for the next song to start, haha. And I brought all the volume back to regular. I didnt add any EQ either. Now what I will do, if I notice a song is considerably quieter than another, I will bring it up. And if considerably louder I will bring it down. My library is quite large, and I have OCD, so I liked it when I made everything the same. But if I am introducing clipping or distortion into the music, it is not worth it.

Lastly, I never thought about saving schitty music into higher bitrates... :/

I am gonna have to slowly go through my library and check and see what music I have, and what bitrate it started at. I always just convert all my music to 192 AAC.

Lastly, I never thought about saving schitty music into higher bitrates... :/I am gonna have to slowly go through my library and check and see what music I have, and what bitrate it started at. I always just convert all my music to 192 AAC.
This is a very good practice. I do the same. Again, if the music had ever been saved at a bit rate lower than that, just keep it at its lowest bit rate. Once compressed, there is no bringing it back to its former glory. I really enjoy iTunes gapless setting. It does a pretty decent job. GL with your music, I am OCD too and it ***** having some music that is really quiet or really loud. Out of the headphone jack, I see this still with a few of my songs and try to replace them asap. When using the digital connection from the dock on the ipod, it usually levels the songs out properly (it ignores volume changes made with the track editor). I might suggest as far as home listening and in the car utilizing a deck that can use the high speed connection and get a dock for the house.

This is a very good practice. I do the same. Again, if the music had ever been saved at a bit rate lower than that, just keep it at its lowest bit rate. Once compressed, there is no bringing it back to its former glory. I really enjoy iTunes gapless setting. It does a pretty decent job. GL with your music, I am OCD too and it ***** having some music that is really quiet or really loud. Out of the headphone jack, I see this still with a few of my songs and try to replace them asap. When using the digital connection from the dock on the ipod, it usually levels the songs out properly (it ignores volume changes made with the track editor). I might suggest as far as home listening and in the car utilizing a deck that can use the high speed connection and get a dock for the house.
For sure, I corrected a lot of my music, just today. And I only use USB decks.

Download lossless and never have to worry about compression again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
That would be nice, if I wouldn't have to lose half of my music due to size constraints. I really need to get a new ziff adapter and HDD so I can upgrade my iPod to 320gb

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Seriously, double quoted in the same post? WTF server

That would be nice, if I wouldn't have to lose half of my music due to size constraints. I really need to get a new ziff adapter and HDD so I can upgrade my iPod to 320gb 

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Seriously, double quoted in the same post? WTF server

I mean its important, but not that important. Lol. I am still working on my library, neglecting HW and all. Lol. I am trying to download as many 320 Torrents as I can, then I compress them to 256 just to save a lil space. Then I am finding all of the albums I messed up on and compressed to 128, and trying to re-download or find my CDs. I can see I will be busy for some time!!!

I mean its important, but not that important. Lol. I am still working on my library, neglecting HW and all. Lol. I am trying to download as many 320 Torrents as I can, then I compress them to 256 just to save a lil space. Then I am finding all of the albums I messed up on and compressed to 128, and trying to re-download or find my CDs. I can see I will be busy for some time!!!
Are you converting these to be constant, or variable?

Oh, and unless you have access to a music based torrent site(waffles.fm, etc.), then you should try to use Mediafire for your music. I'm sure you already know this, but one of the quickest and easiest ways to find the albums you're looking for is to simply go to Google, and type in "site:mediafire.com album name, or artist name" and you can usually add 320 or v0 after, depending on the popularity of the album. v0 is the highest quality VBR MP3 you'll find. You'll see that your music will have a different bitrate per song, and that's because VBR eats up all of the empty data in your music. CBR wastes space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.