iTunes Volume Adjustment Option

The_Grimy_One
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, so I am in the habit when I add songs to my iTunes, I automatically adjust the volume to as high as it goes, make it a gapless album, and convert it to an AAC file.

My question is, what does pushing the volume as high as it goes do to the music. I have been doing it for years, and never really thought about it. Will this make me clip more often or anything of that nature. I will try to convert them back to normal volume level if so.

Wish I had a 99PRS so I could use AAC Lossless. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

From reading the OP, it sounds like the volume adjuster you're talking about actually changes the files themselves. I'll try to import a CD tomorrow and mess with the adjuster and then import them into Audacity and see if there's any difference. At this point, I'm going to say that it could be a problem.

The only volume that I can see in Itunes is the main volume, which has no effect on the actual MP3 file itself, its just the volume for the program. Don't think it makes any difference what the volume is set at.

The only volume that I can see in Itunes is the main volume, which has no effect on the actual MP3 file itself, its just the volume for the program. Don't think it makes any difference what the volume is set at.
I think he's talking about a setting you can change while importing a CD/converting files.

I think he's talking about a setting you can change while importing a CD/converting files.
Hmm, he never said anything about importing a CD though. I just assumed he put files in his Itunes then clicked the option to convert to AAC.

Hmm, he never said anything about importing a CD though. I just assumed he put files in his Itunes then clicked the option to convert to AAC.
He mentioned making the album gapless. I don't know, importing a cd seemed like the only logical idea to me.

Wow. Im deff not a noob, so I would not ask that dumb of a question. Right click on the file, then go "Get Info", then to "Options"... You can slide the volume adjustment, which boosts the volume somewhat.

When you raise the volume, it doesn't save it in the song. Just put the same song and played it in WMP and Itunes, and it was louder in itunes with the volume at +100% than in windows media player, although I raised the volume to 100% before I converted files.

So basically turning up the volume does nothing except make it louder when you play it in itunes.

the easiest way to find out is to put the same song back to back.. do it to one and not the other.. play it in the car.. and see if its louder or not.. if it is than you could be bringing clipping in even if its at the amp because you are now possibly playing 0db or +3db music now..

When you raise the volume, it doesn't save it in the song. Just put the same song and played it in WMP and Itunes, and it was louder in itunes with the volume at +100% than in windows media player, although I raised the volume to 100% before I converted files.
So basically turning up the volume does nothing except make it louder when you play it in itunes.
Alright cool. So I should be fine...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.