ITS COLD OUTSIDE so are my dustcaps!

OKAY

it'snotdatloud
So I'm now at 70-75 volts on my brx3016.1d.

I was at 60v for the last two days after putting my new G31 agm in and been full tilt while driving, checking thr temps on the subs and amp. Cold dust caps barely warm amp.

Notched the gain up i guess to around 70 volts maybe 75v. And after playing a decaf heavy hitter for 3 minutes neither amp and my two hds315 dust caps give any sign of clipping, amp is barely warm and the dust caps are cold just like before.

Everyone says crank the gain up that the hifonics gain dials are insensitive. Well not on this one. Here's a pic from a video i did while setting the gain for 3000 rms (a lil over) And a link to the fulm video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdw247xw9unhdbw/brx3016D.mp4?dl=0

Clipping? Should i turn it back down? Its louder and pounds the van much harder while they still sound good ; don't sound distorted to me and they havent stopped getting louder when i bumped the gain just below the 10oclock mark. It seems this voltage calculation thing is a joke. If any pro is in the oc or inland empire area i would be more than happy to let you hear it.

d8f28a96694945e546299be6dc238d58.jpg

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The inaccuracy of calculating output power based on voltage is that you have to make an assumption on impedance. Box rise is real and increases impedance seen by the amp. And since it varies with frequency, some notes will be fine but others can be damaging. and head unit output voltage determines where you start to over-drive the input on the amp. without measuring on a scope, there are many assumptions.

Whoever keeps telling you to crank the gain up, don't listen to them.

Once you set your gain(s) on the amp, and HU, you should be good.

I wouldn't sweat the cold dustcaps too much....being it's winter everywhere. I would rather worry if they get warm/hot.

Lemme rephrase: actually really its some who are use to insensitive dials on older hifonics amps.

Ive been aware of impedance rise in the box and frequency changes in music but **** keep_hope, when you said some notes can cause damage, do you mean at a certain frequency or certain frequencies in a clipped recording? I ask because all iisten to is the "clean" and very close to clean, bass enhanced stuff..that and i used 0db tone.

But yeah no matter what still too many variables and oscope is needed to be clip free when squeezing more power. I wish i had what you guys have big 5 to 10k amps then i would set gain by ear and leave it lol

Id keep going higher until the subs at least get warm after 3 min of playing, My dust caps get hot.. That's how u know your subwoofers are working proper lol your woofers pull and push air away from the coil and the dust caps should be warm/hot temp and that's perfectly ok, there working properly if so. Just know your system. Know what coil smells like and u shouldn't have a problem

Wouldnt -5db @60v be even less?

Well i bumped her up another notch and hotdammy do i like the looks people give me.

Caps amd amp are cool to the touch, still.

I think imma leave it there..i did feel a barely hint of warmness on the caps after 3 minutes of full tilt..Should be fine. Must be near 80v.

I want to say its been such a huge difference a HUGE difference just after only replacing the stock lead acid group 65 to a new agm31D. That and the 3/0 weld power wire. I still have the 1/0 cca on the amps ground, though. Wondering how much of a difference when i change it to 3/0?

Forgot to solder my 3/0 power..the lug wiggled loose at the battery. The weld supply store by my house is awsome cheap prices and gave me 1 ft with a crimped lug for free.

My voltage hovers around 13.4 with beats. Long n low bass lines no lower then 12.6.

I am totally happy with this new amp!! Especially how im one of the few ive noticed have it running cool while others complain it gets too hot.

Wouldnt -5db @60v be even less?
Well i bumped her up another notch and hotdammy do i like the looks people give me.

Caps amd amp are cool to the touch, still.

I think imma leave it there..i did feel a barely hint of warmness on the caps after 3 minutes of full tilt..Should be fine. Must be near 80v.

I want to say its been such a huge difference a HUGE difference just after only replacing the stock lead acid group 65 to a new agm31D. That and the 3/0 weld power wire. I still have the 1/0 cca on the amps ground, though. Wondering how much of a difference when i change it to 3/0?

Forgot to solder my 3/0 power..the lug wiggled loose at the battery. The weld supply store by my house is awsome cheap prices and gave me 1 ft with a crimped lug for free.

My voltage hovers around 13.4 with beats. Long n low bass lines no lower then 12.6.

I am totally happy with this new amp!! Especially how im one of the few ive noticed have it running cool while others complain it gets too hot.

The multi-meter method isn't BS, you are just using the wrong test tone for your music library. If you have music with -5 db at best, recorded basslines and you are using a (much stronger) 0 db test tone, you've just pigeon holed yourself out of 5 db attenuation levels of output and arent getting the full output from your amp.

Also heat affects efficiency which affects output. In California's winter, you can push your amps a decent bit more than the summer. Just make sure you baby it starting spring because the heat from the weather will get you into clipping territory a lot sooner.

The multi-meter method isn't BS, you are just using the wrong test tone for your music library. If you have music with -5 db at best, recorded basslines and you are using a (much stronger) 0 db test tone, you've just pigeon holed yourself out of 5 db attenuation levels of output and arent getting the full output from your amp.

So ur telling me heat causes clipping?da fawk? It's the other way around, clipping causes heat, if you set your gain in winter your still going to see the same clean power during summer. You won't start clipping sooner because of summer weather.

So ur telling me heat causes clipping?da fawk? It's the other way around, clipping causes heat, if you set your gain in winter your still going to see the same clean power during summer. You won't start clipping sooner because of summer weather.
put on oscope on your amp when the alt is on vs off, it'll clip when the car is off if you set the gain with the car on. put on oscope on your amp after railing on it all day in the hot summer, it will likely be clipped.

yes, a hot amp will produce less. why wouldn't it? more internal resistance. saying clipping causes it is true, but in reality both external heat and overdriving the amp are significant factors.

a cold day will mitigate more heat allowing the amp to operate at the higher level for longer. no, not necessarily more clean power, but more clipped power safely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.