It's Been A Looonnnggg Time

blackgeltabs
5,000+ posts

Knowledge is Power
Boston
Probably over 10 years since I've posted here or done anything with Audio. The landscape seems to have changed quite a bit, companies that were producing some awesome products seem to now have only really cheap products (Soundstream I'm looking at you). Image Dynamics looks like they went under, then were revived and finally coughed out a 15" IDMAX. Regardless..

I just need to be pointed in the right direction of whats good these days. Going to be putting together a low power rather boring system in my Tacoma. Mostly looking for some recommendations on the following.

HU - Looks like the Pioneer 80prs is king right now, but I'm not looking for something with that granular of adjust ability. Need some recommendations on a double din, touch screen that has Bluetooth, USB, CD player and an Aux port on the front.

Fronts - 6.5" Components, just give me a few companies that are making good components these days. Last I used was CDT and they were pretty good.

Rears - 6.5 2 or 3 ways, I honestly don't really care about these. I usually buy something that's 100 bucks and it works fine.

Amp - Looking for a nice 600 - 800 Watt 5 Channel. I used to love the old Soundstream Tarantula amp that was 800/5 but those seems to have gone to cheap-o hell. So whats good for 5 channels these days?

Subs - I'll deal with these later but 2 10's that have less than 5" mounting depth.

Thanks for any help

BGT

Amp, this is a decent choice depending on how much power you need:

XDi850.5*| Arc Audio

HU - alpine or pioneer. I believe you can get a touchscreen Pioneer with all the said features and 4v pre-outs for under $300 on Amazon. Rears - anything decent will do - JBL, pioneer ts-d, alpine type-r, boston, cdt, ID. Front stage - what are you willing to spend? Possibilities are endless.

Amp, this is a decent choice depending on how much power you need:
XDi850.5*| Arc Audio

HU - alpine or pioneer. I believe you can get a touchscreen Pioneer with all the said features and 4v pre-outs for under $300 on Amazon. Rears - anything decent will do - JBL, pioneer ts-d, alpine type-r, boston, cdt, ID. Front stage - what are you willing to spend? Possibilities are endless.
I like that Arc amp, I'm going to put that on the short list. I was looking at the Alpine CDE-w265BT HU, looks solid and seems like it will do everything I want along with a Aux and USB right on the face.

I've been looking at the full touch screens but the USB and the aux on the front are pluses for me.

I think in going to go with Image dynamics CTX65cs for the fronts. Also looking at the Alpine V9 5 channel amp.

So this what I ended up getting / doing for the build

HU - Alpine W265BT

Amp - Zed Leviathan

Fronts - RE XXX 6.5 Comps

Rears - Kicker 40CS654

Sub - ID IDQ10

RAAMat - Sound Deadener

Knu Konceptz wiring and the Stinger 6 Channel RCA's.

Most of it is installed now. Mostly waiting on the sub box to come so I can install the sub and get everything in its final spots.

nice list. be sure to share pics of the install.
why even install rears? kids? just keep them turned down when not in use.
The rears are the only thing I haven't purchased yet, and to be honest after dialing the XXX Comps in this afternoon I don't think I'm going to. It would be cool if I could stick a couple nice mid bass drivers in there but I'll see how it goes. I certainly have the power to do it with the Zed.

Still waiting on the custom sub box before everything is 100% finished up.

Here is a couple of the XXX's compared to the stocks and them in the door.

How do the XXX sound? Visually, very impressive! Interested in their transparency and midbass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's pouring rain in NH today, so I just got them tuned up where the tweeters were not screaming your ears out. I also took my case of CD's out for the install and forgot to put them back in, so all the tuning was done to Van Halen greatest hits, mostly Hot for Teacher, Unchained and You really go me. So, yeah, it was pretty screamy highs.

Out of the box the crossover tweeter attenuation was set at -3, it has the options of -3, -6 and -9. I settled on -6 as of right now. Once I play with it some more, preferably in dry weather I will let you guys know how it all shakes out and sounds. I have very very high mid bass expectations out of these little guys, especially with almost 400 watts going to each side.

It's pouring rain in NH today, so I just got them tuned up where the tweeters were not screaming your ears out. I also took my case of CD's out for the install and forgot to put them back in, so all the tuning was done to Van Halen greatest hits, mostly Hot for Teacher, Unchained and You really go me. So, yeah, it was pretty screamy highs.
Out of the box the crossover tweeter attenuation was set at -3, it has the options of -3, -6 and -9. I settled on -6 as of right now. Once I play with it some more, preferably in dry weather I will let you guys know how it all shakes out and sounds. I have very very high mid bass expectations out of these little guys, especially with almost 400 watts going to each side.

Go on over to NewenglandSPL.com and check the show schedule. Sanford Maine show coming up in a couple weeks should be a good time, the show last weekend on Cape Cod was a big turnout. If you miss this show, definitely come up to the Bikini Carwash show later in the summer, it's the largest event in the region and always fun. Look forward to listening to your build if you can make it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.