Is upgrading my sub going to give more bass output?

Participant count
  • Participants list

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
Currently have an Image Dynamics IDQ12 DVC 4ohm sub. Running in a 1.5 cu ft sealed box. Total power from my amp is 600 watts.

I would like more bass. Harder hitting, moving more air, etc.

Would it even be worth it to drop another sub in the same box?
Would there be a better sub to run with the same power and a different box (whether ported or sealed)?

Suggestions?

You aren’t going to get significant output increase in the same box unless you were to double the amplifier power and get a 1200 watt rms sub. Normally I’d recommend going ported like mentioned above, but that sub is really much better suited to be in a sealed box. If you want more output, double the amp power and get another IDQ or get a 600 rms sub that does well in a ported box.

Get a custom ported box and you should be able to notice a difference.
From what i have read, the IDQ is best in a sealed box.

You aren’t going to get significant output increase in the same box unless you were to double the amplifier power and get a 1200 watt rms sub. Normally I’d recommend going ported like mentioned above, but that sub is really much better suited to be in a sealed box. If you want more output, double the amp power and get another IDQ or get a 600 rms sub that does well in a ported box.
Thanks. I don't have room for another sub. Upgrading the amp is more than I really want to do but I appreciate the suggestion.

SO, going with say, a RF P3, and a ported box wouldn't be a noticeable upgrade in bass?

Amp is a 5 channel pioneer. 5th channel is 600 watts at 2 ohms.

From what i have read, the IDQ is best in a sealed box.

Thanks. I don't have room for another sub. Upgrading the amp is more than I really want to do but I appreciate the suggestion.

SO, going with say, a RF P3, and a ported box wouldn't be a noticeable upgrade in bass?

Amp is a 5 channel pioneer. 5th channel is 600 watts at 2 ohms.
Is that 600 RMS power or max power? A Fosgate P3 ported will almost definitely be
louder, but it the one you have would also be louder ported. You’re kinda in the same boat if you had either sub, since the P3 is another sub that sorta prefers a sealed enclosure, although I have ported them before with good results.

Sundown SA 12 would be a good match to a 600 rms amp. Does well in a small ported enclosure. If you can’t afford to do a sub and a custom box, do the custom box first. Get a ported enclosure for a sub you want in the future and use your ID sub in that box until you can make it happen. The ID sub will work ported, it just won’t be ideal for it, so you’ll want to be really careful setting your amp gains in a new enclosure.

The question is how much more bass do you want? Just a bit? New custom box. Want a LOT more? You will want a new sub, amp, and box.

Which version IDQ is it? Some of the ID's and their different versions are significantly different than the previous versions. I may be thinking of the IDMAX. One of their versions was wayyyy overrated in power, one of the newer versions.

The IDQ should work in ported fine. You could maybe do a 4th order too; I'd have to see if it would play right in a 4th. If ID gives ported box specs, then it'll work in ported.

I'm of the thought like maybe get a beefier woofer. I like ID subs, but if you want to be louder, get a strong magnet sub that loves a ported box, and let that thing hound.

The amp is 600 watts RMS. I believe max is 1200 watts at 2 ohms. Here's a link to the specs...... Pioneer 9605

I thought I read the P3 prefers ported is why I mentioned it.
I'll read up on the Sundown SA 12 .

BTW this is a sealed box designed by Buck, built by me so I feel very confident I'm getting all I can out of this combination. Which is why I am kinda considering ported and a different sub. I even thought about two 10's (but that would be giving up more room than I want) or even two 8's. Would like to try this but if I don't like it as much as the 12, then I'd be out more $$.
The idq is the latest generation, not an IDmax though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...