Is this ok?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Xkrtwi

CarAudio.com Recruit
Finland
I have 1000wrms subwoofer and amp that is class d and able to give 1700wrms 2ohm its now connected to 2ohm is it ok that my amp gain is 80-90 of max and the output is 45v measured with dmm. Can this hurt my subwoofer?

That's perfectly okay, but just make sure you use more than one frequency of 0db sine wave files before you write it off completely. The gain knob position isn't an accurate depiction of volume.

seems ok just looking at the voltage. You’re close to 1000 watts at 45v. You’re gains are set kinda high, but that depends on the audio signal the amp is receiving. What is the preamp voltage on your head unit?

I dont know i havent measured it but i adjustet the amp with headunit volume of 43 so it doesnt clip. I think the preamp voltage is relatively low because the headunit seems old

I dont know i havent measured it but i adjustet the amp with headunit volume of 43 so it doesnt clip. I think the preamp voltage is relatively low because the headunit seems old
That’s probably why the gain is set higher than it seems it should be. Preamp voltage is probably 2 volts. I switched from a head unit with 2 volt preamps to one that had 4 volt preamps, and didnt have to turn gains up as much to amplify the signal. You may want to consider a head unit upgrade at some point down the road.

Its in a ported enclosure aprox 45 liters, is there a way to know if its clipped etc will it produce more heat then? I dont have oscope yet

Update: i played the sub with volume 43 and after about 25minutes the sub gave a little voice coil smell and little bit warm should i turn my gain down or could the smell and warm be because this setuo havent played this hard before?

I set my gains with digital multimeter setting the headunit volume to 43 and turned the sub gain until i achieved 45 volts with 50hz test tone

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Xkrtwi

CarAudio.com Recruit
Xkrtwi
Finland
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from