Is this O/S amp abuse??

Participant count
  • Participant list
I recently had my only ride throw a rod and sold my HT reciever to go toward engine funds. Now i have nowhere to plug in my huge vintage sansui headphones. So......................

I decided to dig up a small power supply and a few cables and am running 2 channels of a sony XM-5540 to a pair of huge old school sansui headphones. OMFG!! these things are so loud and clear it's not even funny. With gains down all the way i can only stand to turn my computer up 50%. It seriously hurts my ears if i go any higher i mean physical pain. LOL. the headphones take the power easily. I imagine they are 16 or 32 ohm drivers so at full power i would be surprised if my amp would send 20 watts to them. Is this abuse of good O/S equipment or just the best headphone amp ever concocted??

why confused? my computer didn't have near enough balls to run my cans the way i'm used to (because i had to sell my HT reciever) so i did this. now they are loud and picture perfect clear. honestly the loudest headphones i've ever heard. :] PC audio into amp , headphones connected to speaker outs on amp

Man , the first black sabbath album never sounded better!!!! Yes i'm screaming this because i couldn't hear a 180+db spl vehicle right now over these fucking headphones!!!!

I think old school Sansui headphone impedance is 32 ohms so I don't see why this is abusing the old school amplifier. Your headphones... now that is a different story since most of them are rated to handle power in units of milliwatts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.