is this a good box

standard and solid design IMO. Just realize that you may throw off the total air space and tuning by putting 12's instead of 10's. would vary from subwoofer model as well.

how much would it throw off the tuning and air space? also right now i am waiting for my new amp to come in its a dc 1.2k, so for now i am running my old amp jl xd600/1 so is this box to big for only running half power, is it going to be hard on the subs in bigger box with only half power, also the subs are dc lvl 3's

Man the box is the most important part of your substage... I'd go with a pro... I went with Mobile Enclosures and can't recommend him highly enough, though I'm sure there are others out there that are great to deal with too.

To me, it was worth the few extra bucks to get exactly what I wanted out of my box design.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

so is it hard on the subs if only running half power to them in that box?
Clipping them with 1/2 power, on the other hand, will be incredibly hard on them. Set your gains right, be careful, etc.

And before an argument starts, no, you can't really underpower a speaker. But you can underpower a speaker, it's much more complicated than that, but set your gains so you aren't sending the speaker a square wave and you are all good.

If underpowering a speaker alone blew it, you'd blow speakers every time you turned the volume down.

ya all my gains are set properly, i was going to get a design done by ram designs but i dont have paypal so i just built one from the free box plans sticky. i was just wondering if half power was bad because if u use to big of a box it can be hard on the woofer and the subs are 600 rms and call for 1.5 cubic feet but i am on feeding the half power so would that make the box to big, might be a dumb question but i got stoned and started thinkin lol.

What subs are you running? I don't really care what a company recommends, 1.5ft^3 for a single 12" sub is too small in 99% of cases. I've ran a pair of 10's in a box bigger than the one you listed.

Man the box is the most important part of your substage... I'd go with a pro... I went with Mobile Enclosures and can't recommend him highly enough, though I'm sure there are others out there that are great to deal with too.
To me, it was worth the few extra bucks to get exactly what I wanted out of my box design.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Clipping them with 1/2 power, on the other hand, will be incredibly hard on them. Set your gains right, be careful, etc.

And before an argument starts, no, you can't really underpower a speaker. But you can underpower a speaker, it's much more complicated than that, but set your gains so you aren't sending the speaker a square wave and you are all good.

If underpowering a speaker alone blew it, you'd blow speakers every time you turned the volume down.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.