Is there a way to turn down my tweeters?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SirSyko
10+ year member

Delusional Psychotic
I just purchased the Morel Elate 6 component set and finally got everything connected to my Tantrum 600.4. The amp gives out 300 a side into 4 ohms if I have the speakers connected normally through the passive crossovers. With the tweeter setting on the crossover at -4 db and a lot of eq from my deck the tweeters are still too loud. They are on axis and I dont want to mount them anywhere else so I decided to bi amp them to be able to control the tweeter level on the amp. Now the amp is giving the speakers less than half the power and anything above low volume makes the speakers sound pretty bad. The tweeters are rated at 6 ohm and the woofers at 8.

Is there anything else I can buy and add on to turn down the tweeters or am I gonna have to buy two new amps?

I guess you guys didnt understand my question. They are bi amped right now to my amplifier which is a 4 channel amplifier. The amplifier has separate gain settings which I can use to lower or raise my tweeter and midwoofer level and as of now im happy with the sound... at very low volumes. You see the amplifier gives out 75 watts a channel at 4 ohms. My tweeters are 6 ohms and the woofers are 8 so they are seeing much less power than 75 watts a speaker.

Before I bi amplified them I had them bridged to the crossovers so the amplifier was giving me 300 watts to each side and I was very happy with how loud they got but not so happy with loud tweeters.

So again. My question is: Is there anything I can buy that can possibly be connected in between the crossover and tweeter to lower the amount of power that is going to the tweeter?

Fuking A guys, I know I can go active and I know how to do it. But that will require a new deck and two JL 300/4 amplifiers or something of that nature to give me full power at 6 or 8 ohms to each driver. These things need more power than my sub.

I guess you guys didnt understand my question. They are bi amped right now to my amplifier which is a 4 channel amplifier. The amplifier has separate gain settings which I can use to lower or raise my tweeter and midwoofer level and as of now im happy with the sound... at very low volumes. You see the amplifier gives out 75 watts a channel at 4 ohms. My tweeters are 6 ohms and the woofers are 8 so they are seeing much less power than 75 watts a speaker.
Before I bi amplified them I had them bridged to the crossovers so the amplifier was giving me 300 watts to each side and I was very happy with how loud they got but not so happy with loud tweeters.

So again. My question is: Is there anything I can buy that can possibly be connected in between the crossover and tweeter to lower the amount of power that is going to the tweeter?

Fuking A guys, I know I can go active and I know how to do it. But that will require a new deck and two JL 300/4 amplifiers or something of that nature to give me full power at 6 or 8 ohms to each driver. These things need more power than my sub.
L-pad on the tweeter.

seriously if you are bi amped and have turned the gains down on the tweets and still they are too loud something sounds wrong.

unless you have like german shepard ears or something haha

what are your eq settings? i thought my tweets were too loud no matter what until i really learned how to properly set the EQ. I used to love to set my eq at like +6@12k, +5@4k, and +5@2.5k.... then i learned why the hell they were so harsh haha

seriously if you are bi amped and have turned the gains down on the tweets and still they are too loud something sounds wrong.
unless you have like german shepard ears or something haha

what are your eq settings? i thought my tweets were too loud no matter what until i really learned how to properly set the EQ. I used to love to set my eq at like +6@12k, +5@4k, and +5@2.5k.... then i learned why the hell they were so harsh haha

Let me repeat myself again. The tweeters were too loud before I bi amped them. I had them connected like a normal component set through their passive crossovers bridged to my 4 channel amp. I tried them out with this normal connection for a couple days. The crossovers have a tweeter attenuation settings that goes from +4, +2, 0, -2, -4. Mine were set at -4. The deck's EQ was set at -9 at 16KHZ with a "Q" of .25 and flat everywhere else. This was still too loud for me.

In my listening room at home Im running Martin Logan SL3s powered by a Primare integrated amp. My music is played through a Non Oversampling DAC. The source is my PC with all my albums ripped through EAC in FLAC format and played through Aio4all for bitperfect playback. It took me over two weeks to find the spot for my speakers and everything is perfectly symmetrical to an eigth of an inch. Yes I used a measuring tape. So you can see that I am very picky with my sound and my obvious future for my car audio is to go active. I just dont have the funds at this time. They are currenty being redistributed to other people by our President.

Let me repeat myself again. The tweeters were too loud before I bi amped them. I had them connected like a normal component set through their passive crossovers bridged to my 4 channel amp. I tried them out with this normal connection for a couple days. The crossovers have a tweeter attenuation settings that goes from +4, +2, 0, -2, -4. Mine were set at -4. The deck's EQ was set at -9 at 16KHZ with a "Q" of .25 and flat everywhere else. This was still too loud for me.
In my listening room at home Im running Martin Logan SL3s powered by a Primare integrated amp. My music is played through a Non Oversampling DAC. The source is my PC with all my albums ripped through EAC in FLAC format and played through Aio4all for bitperfect playback. It took me over two weeks to find the spot for my speakers and everything is perfectly symmetrical to an eigth of an inch. Yes I used a measuring tape. So you can see that I am very picky with my sound and my obvious future for my car audio is to go active. I just dont have the funds at this time. They are currenty being redistributed to other people by our President.
yeah the way you worded it is pretty confusing but after re reading i see. i guess you just have german shepard ears. haha jk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.