Is the 12w6v2 good for rock/metal music?

to answer ur question the JL is a good sub for what you like. Good deals are to be had just gotta look around.

One thing i havent seen in any of these posts yet is what are you going to run it with??

The ID is a great sub... but now your talking a recommended 1000w rms sub. the JL is rated 600w rms but a 500w monoblock will do just fine. I have a TMA 500.1 runing a single 12w6 right now in my zephyr and it sounds great and is pretty loud. Im runing a slot port box tho. I listen to rap and rock and it all sound pretty good.

to answer ur question the JL is a good sub for what you like. Good deals are to be had just gotta look around.
One thing i havent seen in any of these posts yet is what are you going to run it with??

The ID is a great sub... but now your talking a recommended 1000w rms sub. the JL is rated 600w rms but a 500w monoblock will do just fine. I have a TMA 500.1 runing a single 12w6 right now in my zephyr and it sounds great and is pretty loud. Im runing a slot port box tho. I listen to rap and rock and it all sound pretty good.
IDMax > JL W6v2 as well. ID makes a sub for pretty much everything under 12-1400wrms and under.

IDMax > JL W6v2 as well. ID makes a sub for pretty much everything under 12-1400wrms and under.
Heres a review on that debate from an unbiased source:

At first glance I realy liked the way this sub looked and felt to be much better quality than the IDQ put the sub in a 1,5 sealed box powered with an Alpine PDX 1000.1 and was immediatly happy with the sound at low-mid volume...at higher volumes it slapped and bottomed out..it became very apparent this sub is overrated I sold the sub to a friend who is running a JL 500.1 to it and this ended up being a nice combo but running 1000 watts to one is not good...in the end this sub is overrated/over priced/over hyped and is exactly opposite of what the forum hyper's say I hear all the time that Image Dynamics is great for the money...lulz if you call products built in China and doubling up the power ratings on paper to look good to get a higher price than this is the sub. A w7 absolutly mops the floor with this sub in build quality/performance in every way and I know this will tick alot of people off but a JLw6v2 even tops the IDMAx...don't belive me? measure the two to see which has a flatter BL curve and stays more linear through it's operating range....get a 1000 watt amp and run it on the IDMAX and then the w6v2 and see which one truly does well at higher power and then you will see. I'm not telling anyone to believe me compare for yourself

Heres a review on that debate from an unbiased source:

At first glance I realy liked the way this sub looked and felt to be much better quality than the IDQ put the sub in a 1,5 sealed box powered with an Alpine PDX 1000.1 and was immediatly happy with the sound at low-mid volume...at higher volumes it slapped and bottomed out..it became very apparent this sub is overrated I sold the sub to a friend who is running a JL 500.1 to it and this ended up being a nice combo but running 1000 watts to one is not good...in the end this sub is overrated/over priced/over hyped and is exactly opposite of what the forum hyper's say I hear all the time that Image Dynamics is great for the money...lulz if you call products built in China and doubling up the power ratings on paper to look good to get a higher price than this is the sub. A w7 absolutly mops the floor with this sub in build quality/performance in every way and I know this will tick alot of people off but a JLw6v2 even tops the IDMAx...don't belive me? measure the two to see which has a flatter BL curve and stays more linear through it's operating range....get a 1000 watt amp and run it on the IDMAX and then the w6v2 and see which one truly does well at higher power and then you will see. I'm not telling anyone to believe me compare for yourself

I'm running my IDmax off a 260watt plate amp in a transmission line enclosure and it psuhes it real good. so enclsoure first, then power.

i'm wondering the same thing as the OP. not specifically with the jl, but what sub in general. we really need somebody who listens to 90% rock/metal. rap fans never totally seem to understand the "punch" that we're lookin for.

i'm wondering the same thing as the OP. not specifically with the jl, but what sub in general. we really need somebody who listens to 90% rock/metal. rap fans never totally seem to understand the "punch" that we're lookin for.
I think thats a pretty crappy generalization. i listen to rap, but i listen to a ton of rock and have for a long time. Maybe some of the rap fans youve come across dont know what you mean but "punchy" bass is pretty much punchy bass. as a bunch of posts in this thread have already mentioned... the JL is good, Image Dynamics have some good choices and theres some other good subs that are really responsive and will give you what your looking for. THere usually not $100 subs at your local best buy tho.

I think thats a pretty crappy generalization. i listen to rap, but i listen to a ton of rock and have for a long time. Maybe some of the rap fans youve come across dont know what you mean but "punchy" bass is pretty much punchy bass. as a bunch of posts in this thread have already mentioned... the JL is good, Image Dynamics have some good choices and theres some other good subs that are really responsive and will give you what your looking for. THere usually not $100 subs at your local best buy tho.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.