Is my amplifier powerful enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

tannerjwood

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a Renegade pre built sub with 2 12 inch subs that is supposedly 600 watts RMS and 1200 watts total but i’m not sure on that because i wasn’t sure if that was for one or both subs. it’s also 4 ohms total i believe. then the amp that came with it is a renegade ren850 mono amp with 1000 watt. i am wondering if i need to purchase a more powerful amp because of the fact that the amp says it can only deliver 250 watts at 4 ohms?

You may want to get an entirely new setup honestly. If you want to stay on a low budget, look at Soundqubed as they have Black Friday Deals right now and on Black Friday will have flash sales too.

Never heard of renegade till I read this thread. Did a quick search and see that it's budget gear. Not much info that I seen on what you have. I'd guess what they are are probably 2 single 4 ohm voice coil subs that you'll either have to wire in parallel or they're already wired parallel internally.
A digital multi meter would answer a few questions if there's no info in the manual.
Idk is it too late to return it? I agree with post above. Companies like that take advantage of people who don't know any better. People see 2 12s and an amp for cheap and don't realize what can be had for not much more (idk what u paid for it) for a single 12 a better amp and enclosure will blow that renegade set up away.

Not being mean but Renegade is a flea market brand. Cheap quality and overrated numbers. That amp at 4 ohms may be putting out 150-200 rms.
I definitely understand everyone has a budget and different goals.
Try upgrading the amp first and see if you like the results and if not, then go from there. Do you have a budget for an amp?

Never heard of renegade till I read this thread. Did a quick search and see that it's budget gear. Not much info that I seen on what you have. I'd guess what they are are probably 2 single 4 ohm voice coil subs that you'll either have to wire in parallel or they're already wired parallel internally.
A digital multi meter would answer a few questions if there's no info in the manual.
Idk is it too late to return it? I agree with post above. Companies like that take advantage of people who don't know any better. People see 2 12s and an amp for cheap and don't realize what can be had for not much more (idk what u paid for it) for a single 12 a better amp and enclosure will blow that renegade set up away.
yeah it’s definitely a budget brand, i just wanted to focus more money on the rest of the audio in the car. the speakers aren’t wired together i know so i think i’ll try starting with wiring them in parallel because the amp can do 425 watts at 2 ohms, although that’s still not the 600 the sub need it will help. i could return it but the sub sounds decent it’s just the amp that was sold with it is way underpowered when you look at the numbers

Not being mean but Renegade is a flea market brand. Cheap quality and overrated numbers. That amp at 4 ohms may be putting out 150-200 rms.
I definitely understand everyone has a budget and different goals.
Try upgrading the amp first and see if you like the results and if not, then go from there. Do you have a budget for an amp?
i know it’s a cheap brand, the sub sounds decent but wow the amp in way underpowered. it gets distorted quick. the amp puts out 225 watts at 4 ohms so i’m gonna re wire the subs in parallel so it’s 2 ohms because the amp can do 425 watts at 2 ohms so that should help a little. then an amp is my next option, i was thinking around $200-$250 for the amp

Soundqubed S1-1250 is $169 right now. A lot here run Taramps which have a lot of power for cheap. Depending on what you already have, get a good OFC 4 gauge power wire (get 0 gauge if you’re thinking about upgrading power down the road). Check out Big Blanks budget gem or bust on YouTube too, he tests budget amps to see actual power output and build quality.

yeah it’s definitely a budget brand, i just wanted to focus more money on the rest of the audio in the car. the speakers aren’t wired together i know so i think i’ll try starting with wiring them in parallel because the amp can do 425 watts at 2 ohms, although that’s still not the 600 the sub need it will help. i could return it but the sub sounds decent it’s just the amp that was sold with it is way underpowered when you look at the numbers
I wouldn't relie on their numbers.
So you're wired in series now?
Mono amp right? 2 Single 4 ohm voice coil subs? What head unit r u using and where's the gain set at 1/4 1/2 3/4 all the way up?
It's possible you're having issues with your set up not to mention bottom of the barrel equipment.
If you can get your money back by all means do it. Very likely you'll want to up grade later anyway why wait get something decent now instead of later. A lot of sales this weekend and next week

renegade is not budget, budget means its quality goods for the money. Flea market is when you got ripped off for bottom of the barrel gear thinking you got a good deal.

Try the different wiring and tell us a budget when you need to buy a more powerful amp. Dont go off buying garbage brands again, we know good amps at every price point yes even at dirt cheap and will filter out the garbage selections for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.