is my amp going bad?

caddylifestyle

hey whats up, i have 2 15 kicker c15 subwoofers with a rockford fosgate power 10001bd amplifier. i noticed the subs would cut out if played at a kind of high volume but they would slowly regain power in them the longer i had the volume almost completely off. took my car to the stereo shop and they turned down the gains and told me that i shouldnt have any problem after that. i notice its actually cutting out more frequently now. i really hope such a good amp isnt turning into trash.

Could be several things... Check these:

You need a volt meter. Check voltage on power side (12v+), check blue amp turn on wire (12v+)..

Play it hard while, testing & you need it to shut down while your testing...

Is the amplifier mounted on the box? Is it loose? If above is fine, hit the amp with your hand to see if it cuts off...might be a loose solder inside amp..

How hot is the amplifier? Can you touch it for 5 seconds?

checked grounds and they are definitely secure. the dude at the shop said that the amp was just way too powerful for the subs but i dont understand why they would still be cutting out after turning alot of the amp settings down. im a rookie with car stereos by the way lol

the amp is located on the back part of my trunk. the people who owned the car before me had set up everything in the car. the amp was once powering 2 power hx2 rockford fosgates but they went south on me already. havent tried anything that u suggested yet but when i get home to my car ill definitely give those a shot

the guy at the shop fed you BS.......

check what your voltage is when u play it loud....if its cutting out ur amp isnt getting enough power...

how do u have the subs wired up? and what alternator and battery do you have...how big is the power wire

also, if you can play it without voltage drop into the amp, then your subs might be cooked again. check the ohms on each speaker, disconnected from the amp. it might be going into a low impedance protection. what year is that fockford? and what ohm are the subs. iirc, they should be 500wrms each, which means you should have a total load of 2ohms to the amp. 4ohms from each sub, depending on what year it is. if they are d4 or single2, or even d2, you will feed them too much power. heck, my t5001bd will feed them more rms than they can take @ 1ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

caddylifestyle

caddylifestyle
Seattle
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
akheathen