Is it hard to use an RTA?

Participant count
  • Participant list
It's important to keep background noise at a minimum during measurements. you also need a good source for correlated and uncorrelated pink noise. Autosound2000 disc 102 is my main resource. It's also important to note that mic placement has a large impact on which room modes you measure. when you leaving the microphone in a fixed position you will observe peaks and valleys that are the results of phase interference and / or cabin modes. you cannot fix those with an eq. when possible, I will move the microphone in a figure 8 pattern in front of my face while sitting in the driver's seat. the challenge here is that you need to control the laptop. And we don't like having the laptop in the car because it makes noise and you will measure the laptop fan. I always take background noise measurements first. then I adjust the level of the sound system so that I am at least 10 decibels above background noise at any point in the spectrum.

It's important to keep background noise at a minimum during measurements. you also need a good source for correlated and uncorrelated pink noise. Autosound2000 disc 102 is my main resource. It's also important to note that mic placement has a large impact on which room modes you measure. when you leaving the microphone in a fixed position you will observe peaks and valleys that are the results of phase interference and / or cabin modes. you cannot fix those with an eq. when possible, I will move the microphone in a figure 8 pattern in front of my face while sitting in the driver's seat. the challenge here is that you need to control the laptop. And we don't like having the laptop in the car because it makes noise and you will measure the laptop fan. I always take background noise measurements first. then I adjust the level of the sound system so that I am at least 10 decibels above background noise at any point in the spectrum.
Way to make it sound fucking complicated. now im lost. > .

That's because acoustics is complicated. I use an RTA as part of my job and there are a lot of things to consider. I am happy to explain anything for you. Shoot me a PM.
You should consider making a video of how to tune using an RTA. I bet it would be useful to a great many people.

You must remember that an RTA is just a tool. It will show you only what it's capable of displaying, and it doesn't factor in time. I do recommend you learn to use it, but don't forget that the goal is good sound, not how the dots connect on a digital display. Take advantage of keep_hope_alive's offer to help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.