is it bad to have subs facing eachother?

I've seen it done, it might cause some cancellation issues though- not 100% sure though. That is why I chose not to do it that way.

Sure it will be ok. But who wants to just be "ok"? The sound from speakers travels in waves and putting them facing each other, they will just cancel each other out. As for looks, it would be pretty nice.

Yep, it's called isobaric loading, and it will work as long as you reverse the polarity on one of the subs, so when one fires outward, the other fires inward.

Yep, it's called isobaric loading, and it will work as long as you reverse the polarity on one of the subs, so when one fires outward, the other fires inward.
it is called isobaric loading, but not in this case. If the subs are on opposite sides of the trunk and you wire 1 out of phase, that is call having 1 sub wired wrong. Trust me, there won't be much output. Isobaric is for subs to fire 'push-pull' in a small, sealed area and does not apply here.

here are some examples of ISO loading.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes4.asp

it is called isobaric loading, but not in this case. If the subs are on opposite sides of the trunk and you wire 1 out of phase, that is call having 1 sub wired wrong. Trust me, there won't be much output. Isobaric is for subs to fire 'push-pull' in a small, sealed area and does not apply here.
here are some examples of ISO loading.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes4.asp

Isobaric loading is not always a push-pull affair. Two identical drivers mounted one directly infront of the other or behind is still an isobaric type, but not push pull. Sure you knew that, but just wanted to clear it for some others.

Isobaric loading is not always a push-pull affair. Two identical drivers mounted one directly infront of the other or behind is still an isobaric type, but not push pull. Sure you knew that, but just wanted to clear it for some others.
true. I was referring to the common 'clamshell' setup, which I use in my daily box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

sound = pressure. wire one backwards and you get no pressure.
Not exactly true. Wire one speaker out of phase from the other and you will still get sound, it will just have all sorts of cancellation issues (based on frequency, distance between subs, etc). Speakers do not create sound from pressurization, they create it from sound waves. The pressurization is a byproduct we measure to gauge instensity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.