Is BL optimization still a thing?

audioholic

not a moderator
10+ year member
Aug 31, 2003
Parts Unknown
I've been out of car audio for a while. Im curious if BL optimization is still an up and coming thing in car audio. Adire had the xbl^2 which they licensed to RE, TC had their variable wound coils, JBL had differential drive,  and a couple others had their own designs Im forgetting atm. I've been looking through this board for a couple weeks now and I don't see anyone mention it or any of these motor types. Im just curious whats happening with them at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

denim

SSAudio.com
Pro Seller
10+ year member
Oct 16, 2002
SSA HQ East
Adire has come back under new ownership still using XBL2. CSS is still around.

I have been digging into split coil for a while, but its very difficult to make it affordable in todays market where people want American Made quality, for Chinese made prices, and they want it shipped within 30 minutes of ordering it.

Reactions: Slo_Ride
OP
audioholic

audioholic

not a moderator
10+ year member
Aug 31, 2003
Parts Unknown
Adire has come back under new ownership still using XBL2. CSS is still around.

I have been digging into split coil for a while, but its very difficult to make it affordable in todays market where people want American Made quality, for Chinese made prices, and they want it shipped within 30 minutes of ordering it.
Good to see you denim. It seems like as long as conventional speakers use a magnetically driven motor, BL optimization is a next-step technology. When I stepped away from car audio, BL op motors were infesting the subwoofer market, had already made a presence in the midrange market, and Bl op tweeters were promised in the near future. Im surprised this tech hasn't made a bigger splash in the market yet, but I understand your financial comments.

Im a car audio guy, but even I admit the crazy serious audiophiles are home audio. It seems like even with a higher manufacturing cost, this tech would find market niche there. I know it would compete with planar speakers and such, but still.

Thanks for the reply denim.

denim

SSAudio.com
Pro Seller
10+ year member
Oct 16, 2002
SSA HQ East
Good to see you denim. It seems like as long as conventional speakers use a magnetically driven motor, BL optimization is a next-step technology. When I stepped away from car audio, BL op motors were infesting the subwoofer market, had already made a presence in the midrange market, and Bl op tweeters were promised in the near future. Im surprised this tech hasn't made a bigger splash in the market yet, but I understand your financial comments.

Im a car audio guy, but even I admit the crazy serious audiophiles are home audio. It seems like even with a higher manufacturing cost, this tech would find market niche there. I know it would compete with planar speakers and such, but still.

Thanks for the reply denim.
We are using underhung motors in our mids and people love them, but sale figures wise, they are getting destroyed by peaky PA style speakers. Most of them are often lacking balance across the range, any low end range, and better materials are not a concern in most. Car audio as a market, doesn't care about low distortion and smooth response anymore, hence why loud and cheap dominate.

nate0

Apr 18, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Most of them are often lacking balance across the range, any low end range, and better materials are not a concern in most. Car audio as a market, doesn't care about low distortion and smooth response anymore, hence why loud and cheap dominate.
You are right. It is almost becoming a lost art. Even SQ builders moved to more SPL driven applications either because of competition reasons, maybe even for the thrill, or other reasons. But it's not all about just buying a bunch of midbass speakers subs and tweeters and just hooking them all up in even the right positions and enclosures. I personally am still studying, testing and learning about subwoofer design and motors because honestly that is what I care about most when I play music. I was not aware BL even existed in a tweeter design until now...

Reactions: denim

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds