Is a house amp different than a car amp in regards to gain?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
I have a subwoofer in my living room on a home theater set up . The sub is on a peavy cs800x. This amp is supposed to putout 1200 rms when bridged at 4ohms. It barely buts out 450 watts when the voltage is measured. So I went out and bought a peavy PV2000 which is supposed to put out 2000 watts when bridged at 4 ohms. It's only putting out about 550. Why don't house amps meet up to car maps? Is it the 120amp that can't provide the juice that the amp needs maybe ? I wonder if I connect it to its own breaker would that provide more juice ? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^What he said. It's usually an impedance mismatch issue, you can get cables that have built in compensation as well.

Most pro audio amps need 1 to 1.4 volts input to put out max power. Most home stereos only put out .5 to .7 volts max. You will need something to boost the signal from the home receiver to the amp. Like an Art Audio clean box pro.ART CLEANBoxPro Bi-Directional Level Matching CLEANBOXPRO B&H
This makes so much sense and I've been thinking that the sub output on the preamp is restricting power to the main power amp for the sub but wasn't sure how . That apparatus that you suggested , it seems to be for 2 rca jacks and I only have one since its a sub output and is bridged to only 1 channel . Also, it seems to more of a filter to clean noise, I feel I need more of a mini amp to boost the signal. Are you sure that thinks what I need?

They dont put out rated because you are using a reactive load.

Research AC electronics and reactance.

I have a subwoofer in my living room on a home theater set up . The sub is on a peavy cs800x. This amp is supposed to putout 1200 rms when bridged at 4ohms. It barely buts out 450 watts when the voltage is measured. So I went out and bought a peavy PV2000 which is supposed to put out 2000 watts when bridged at 4 ohms. It's only putting out about 550. Why don't house amps meet up to car maps? Is it the 120amp that can't provide the juice that the amp needs maybe ? I wonder if I connect it to its own breaker would that provide more juice ? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated ..

By what method did you take these power measurements?

I used a multimeter and measured voltage and reversed the calculated rms x impedance then square root

Like i said, research AC electronics and reactance because you are getting far LESS power than your 450 and 550. And what you measured isn't watts either.

Like i said, research AC electronics and reactance because you are getting far LESS power than your 450 and 550. And what you measured isn't watts either.
Interesting, is there something out there to assist me with this issue?

If you are wanting to measure output of something, you can use a multimeter AND an ammeter.

Although, this method will only tell you the VA (volt amps). Because AC is alternating, voltage and current usually are never in sync so the VA number will read higher than the true watts.

To get True watts, the device must take into account things like Phase Angle and Power Factor.

Devices which do this are-

SPL-Lab Next-Lab USB + AC Clamp

SPL-Lab Next-Lab LCD + AC Clamp

SMD AMM-1

Those are the common devices in the audio world.

However, depending on how much you want to learn depends on how much you are willing to pay for such devices.

Purchasing a True RMS ammeter along with your multimeter can get you VA which is decent enough for troubleshooting issues.

VA when measuring several thousand VA can be over 1,000w off accuracy easy.

The devices listed above are typically between $400-550.

So, it really all depends on your motivation.

Well i switched over to a audio output and that actually opens the flood gates and now my amp and sub can take what I throw at it. Here's the down fall, it is not as filtered as the sub out is. The sub out is pure bass as expected. So now I have loud deep bass but it is mixed with other sound I suppose anything in between 40hz and 150hz since that is where the crossover is set to. Any ideas ?

Update: so yes it's loud as hell , but !!! Only using then CD source. So when I turn on a movie it doesn't work since its on another source, getting aggravating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most pro audio amps need 1 to 1.4 volts input to put out max power. Most home stereos only put out .5 to .7 volts max. You will need something to boost the signal from the home receiver to the amp. Like an Art Audio clean box pro.ART CLEANBoxPro Bi-Directional Level Matching CLEANBOXPRO B&H
If I understand this correctly this unit will balance all sound, correct? Here's my concern, the sub output is the problem since it lacks power and that's what my issues is so if I use this unit how will it get louder ? I need that sub output to give me more watts/ power. This unit if I understand correctly will allow me to balance my sound so basically will allow me to lower all other channels to balance out with sub. That's not exactly what I want to do though, I want keep my center, fronts and rears the same (loud) and it is the sub output that bottlenecks and I want to increase power from that. Hope you understand my gibberish , lol

Ok, found it amazon as well where there is more description and review and questions and sure enough there is a gain control so I ordered it. Thanks a million bud! You saved the day !

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.