Is $500 to much for a box for 2 W3's?

porksoda
10+ year member

Dakota GOD!!!
nm
Well i am wanting to get a box made but the audio shop in my town is the only one around. The next closest audio shop that actually knows what they are doing is 100 miles away.

The way i want to set my box up is like this:

023.jpg

But i have 2 new JL audio 12w3 v2's and i havent decided on my amp. But that how i want it but in gray and they are saying $500 for a box like that. Am i getting ripped off or is that how much all boxes cost. PS this shop i am talking about is a Big JL Audio dealer. I dunno if that changes anything.

I went to a different shop in my town and they said about $200 for a box like that but he says he used a computer program to make it. Is that ok if they use a computer program?

Also I was thinking about making my own box but i have never built a box before. I have read you have to have the right air space and stuff like but i dont know how to figure that our.

Thanks alot guys!

lol. 500 for a box? i know shops that charge 500 for full blow throughs, 500 for a box is way to much. go with the 200, or try it yourself.

Also I was thinking about making my own box but i have never built a box before. I have read you have to have the right air space and stuff like but i dont know how to figure that our.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but is the box in question just a regular box made from MDF, or is it custom-fit to the car with fiberglass? If it's just a plain box made from MDF, I would say give it a try yourself. Figuring the volume is easy and exact with MDF boxes.

You didn't mention if you wanted sealed or ported. Sealed is easier, of course.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is the box in question just a regular box made from MDF, or is it custom-fit to the car with fiberglass? If it's just a plain box made from MDF, I would say give it a try yourself. Figuring the volume is easy and exact with MDF boxes.
You didn't mention if you wanted sealed or ported. Sealed is easier, of course.
Well i wanted it ported and it is gonna be made out of wood. Does it really make a difference if i go with they shop that used a computer program to make the box? Like will it sound any different?

$500 is way too much. I just made a ported box for 2 dub3's for $50. Also when they say they made it with a computer program, they are probably meaning designed it with a computer.

It would be a great time for you to learn to build a box. If you plan on really getting into the hobby it's pretty much necessary and you'll save a lot of money.

It's also hard to really screw up on a sealed box:)

bargain with the store that is selling it for $500. tell them that ur going to go somewhere else if they dont lower their price for u.

Audio shops have to make there money one way or the other. If you bring your **** in and ask them to only do one or two things then they will rape you. They dont like that...

If you are going a big ass setup, then they can make there profits by each piece..

They dont want to **** with it and if they do they are going to KILL YOU. Worth the 100 mile drive...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.