Is 2 Subwoofers Better Than 1 Running Off The Same Amplifier?

chartman18
10+ year member

Bass Bumper
My Subwoofer is a Type-R 12", and I have a Hifonics BXi 1606D amplifier running it, Im just wondering if adding another Type-R improve bass tremendously and possibly sound quality and loudness? Basically, will it improve everything, when the amp is splitting the RMS in 2 since it will be 2 subs instead of 1?

I know its a noob question, but I just needed a quick answer before I go and purchase another subwoofer.

Oh, is around 4 cubes and 32hz good for a dual Type-R 12" box?

if you got another dual 2, then your wiring options would be 2 or 0.5 ohms.

i'm not sure that the hifonics you have would like 0.5 ohms daily, so you be losing power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

it would go from 1600W to one sub down to 550W to each with two (assuming the amp is rated properly).

i wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on going to a 0.5 ohm stable amp in the future.

if your amp has enough overhead to run the 2 subs at full power, then of course it will be better! By that i mean, the amp can send a clean, unclipped signal.

In reality, you won't notice that big of a difference by adding another sub.

You'd be better off building a better box to get the same kind of gain.

In reality, you won't notice that big of a difference by adding another sub.
I question this, if he had a amp that was capable of .5 or an amp that put out more wattage at 2 ohms, he'd be doing leaps and bounds over one sub. A termlab meter would easily prove that.

You'd be better off building a better box to get the same kind of gain.
Again I question this as well, the person didnt mention what kind of vehicle he has, so how can you assume that he can make a large amount of decisions of what kind of "better" box to make? Is better a Transmission line? Horn? 10 Aeroports firing forward? if he owns a ford festiva, he wont be able to do any of that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I would think that of all people you would understand the gentle balance between enclosure space and multiple drivers in a limited space requirement.

if you got another dual 2, then your wiring options would be 2 or 0.5 ohms.

well it could be wired for 8 ohms also

series each VC so each sub is 4 ohms, then series the subs for 8 ohms //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If that amp can run stable at .7 ohms which is what it would be around after impedance rise, then yes, you will see a big increase in SPL and also SQ since you can run it at the same levels as before but with less distortion.

Why do people keep talking about running at 2 or .5 ohms? He has a single dual 4 ohm Type-R if his sig is correct. Having two would drop the amp to 1 ohm and should have a very noticeable affect on output.

Why do people keep talking about running at 2 or .5 ohms? He has a single dual 4 ohm Type-R if his sig is correct. Having two would drop the amp to 1 ohm and should have a very noticeable affect on output.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

Reading > all of us

because whenever anyone reads alpine's poorly named model number 1242d everyone thinks "D 2"...incuding myself.

So buying another Type-R subwoofer, running off the BXi 1606D amplifier in a box around 4 cubes/32 hz wont really make much difference?

Bottom line, would I be wasting my money to buy another one?

My money would be well spent if another 1606D amp was powering it seperately correct?

In theory you will gain about 3db's. It will be noticeably louder and sq should improve because you wont have to push each woofer to its max so that will keep distortion down. Just be sure not to let your amp clip. Either way your subs will be getting around 700wrms, which is still above the recommended rms so it will definetly pound harder

You WILL notice a difference but it's impossible to say how much of a difference there will be. It won't really be a 3dB gain as it could be more than that. I added one driver and kept the same power on both and gained about 7dB on the same mic. More things change in the car when you add the extra sub so cone area is not the only thing to take into consideration.

With the extra sub, they will each be seeing about 750-800rms each which is more than enough for a Type-R daily.

If thats the case, then I somehow feel that they will wang louder obviously, just so everyone knows, its being wired in 2ohms.

Will I get more bass in general with the second sub?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.