18's in my Explorer

Platestacker45
10+ year member

I've been checking out the Mach 5 Audio 18's they just started offering in the 4 Ohm version, the MJ-18. I've read a few reviews here and there on them, but have a hard time buying them for my Explorer. I see them as ''just'' home audio subs and some of the specs are on par with cheapy Pyles and Pyramids //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif . My question is to you guys, will 4 of these bad boys really rock my world? I would have 4 of them up and ports to the rear. I want this next system to be insanely loud, hard to sit in my truck loud. Louder than my Mofo's, which bang very heard. I don't want people being amazed by seeing 4 18's and be disapointed when I crank it up. And I don't have the dough to get XXX's or MT's or whatever so thats not an option. How do you think they would compare to Ma Audio's MA180XE's? Since I can get them both very cheap. Thanks guys.

you dont have enough air space for 4 18' in a explorer,not facing up and ports back,the only way would be a wall,besides 2 18's is gonna be tough to get the right airspace behind the back seats.

you dont have enough air space for 4 18' in a explorer,not facing up and ports back,the only way would be a wall,besides 2 18's is gonna be tough to get the right airspace behind the back seats.
Right now, I just have my 3rd row seats folded down. What about if I fold my 2nd row down as well? Keep in mind I have the newest model too. Thanks

Right now, I just have my 3rd row seats folded down. What about if I fold my 2nd row down as well? Keep in mind I have the newest model too. Thanks
for four 18s, im guessing you would want in the area of 25-30 cubes of air, maybe more. its gonna be a big, braced, double layered, HEAVY box

you could get away with 20 cubes net, with the right power. still i dont think its worth it. keep what you have, save up, and buy some REALLY solid equipment. nothing wrong with mach5 at all, but of course higher end **** is going to wang harder.

you could get away with 20 cubes net, with the right power. still i dont think its worth it. keep what you have, save up, and buy some REALLY solid equipment. nothing wrong with mach5 at all, but of course higher end **** is going to wang harder.
So you think a pair of Strokers would get louder in my X? I was leaning on some 18's for sheer surface area and volume. But a pair of high end 12's or maybe 15's would still be in my budget, it's just the amps needed to power them is what gets me!

highest u can go is 26 and thats 5" over the seat and thats 19.8 and thats if u use single baffle 3/4 which with a box that big i would recomend 1"

So you think a pair of Strokers would get louder in my X? I was leaning on some 18's for sheer surface area and volume. But a pair of high end 12's or maybe 15's would still be in my budget, it's just the amps needed to power them is what gets me!
4 12's like u wanted ur 18's would be plenty.

I just started testing the MJ-18 Ohm. DO NOT associate Mach5 with Plye or Pyramid. The quality is very good, ask anyone on the Mach5 forum who owns their product and they will say the same thing. My MJ-18 I am testing is not seeing any where near the power it needs, not to mention I feel it needs a larger box. Needless to say the output is plenty for a sealed enclosure and the accuracy is very good. Seeing that I also own an explorer I might have a good grasp on your interior. If I were you, I would try a pair of the Mach5 18's ported, would not be expensive. Then after you have had them a bit and you still are not happy, grab some FI Q 18's or the upcomming RL-p 18. The MJ-18s will sell fast if you choose not to keep them, that way you don't spend a ton of cash, and if you are nto happy you are not losing a ton either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Platestacker45

10+ year member
Platestacker45
Bradenton, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from