is 2.25 to much for a baffle?

myvanpounds
10+ year member

I dont own a van any more
sup guys I've been stubbing my toe on my 18XXX laying in the floor for about 8 months now and I'm sick of it. so I need to build a box. The box needs to be BIG. biggest I've built yet. well I know that a single baffle is going to flex way too much and since I have to build in my truck I was thinking about using a triple baffle with double sides. besides the obvious weight increase is there anything wrong with this

Nope, as long as you have the room go for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

my front wall is 2.25

doing this means that you dont have to brace as muh, but should still use some threaded rod or some standard bracing

my front wall is 2.25
doing this means that you dont have to brace as muh, but should still use some threaded rod or some standard bracing
I'm gonna have to ad sme 45's here and there but I only wanted to do it at the halfways (if ya'll know what I mean) I wanted the bok to be mainly 1.5 with a 2.25 baffle since its going to be 8.5 cu ft

You actually will reap more benefit from proper bracing as opposed to doubling up the wall thickness. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You actually will reap more benefit from proper bracing as opposed to doubling up the wall thickness. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
so what about doubling up AND proper pracing. (srry im knda dbunk rigt now) /I figured iF I doubpes up on the mdf ANFD braced with some 45s I'd be coo

Not saying it's a bad thing. Just saying bracing will give you more benefit to fight flex than doubling up the walls. You can do both if you like. Just remember and 8.5 cuft doubled up enclosure, Is gonna be heavy as all fooking hell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Not saying it's a bad thing. Just saying bracing will give you more benefit to fight flex than doubling up the walls. You can do both if you like. Just remember and 8.5 cuft doubled up enclosure, Is gonna be heavy as all fooking hell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I drive a big ass f150 supercab. weight is no issue.

since you said you are building it in the cab, you would save space with proper bracing also. threaded rod or some cross pieces of wood should do ya fine. i had mine braced internally and a double baffle in front and that was good for me. and it's always easier to work with lighter pieces of wood.

how bout a couple 2x4's for bracing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I havn't even designed the box yet. hell I still need to buy a router and tablesaw. (I will NOT build another box with a circle saw)

I'm gonna have to ad sme 45's here and there but I only wanted to do it at the halfways (if ya'll know what I mean) I wanted the bok to be mainly 1.5 with a 2.25 baffle since its going to be 8.5 cu ft
There was a thread debating the impact of corner bracing (45 degree triangles) and whether they improve structural integrity. We concluded that they don't serve much purpose as bracing, but they do help out in the port turbulence department.

Use threaded rod instead of 2x4's. For 8.5 cu. ft., it's fine to do a triple baffle, but I'd also throw some rod in there. Although I have a 5.5 cu ft box, no internal bracing, but it has a double baffle and it's fine.

This may be a little crazy, but instead of using 3 layers of mdf. Would it be "better" so to speak to use a concrete/cement baffle. What weighs more 2.75" mdf, 1.50" hdf, 2.75" concrete, or 1.50" concrete baffle. Just for future reference for me.

There was a thread debating the impact of corner bracing (45 degree triangles) and whether they improve structural integrity. We concluded that they don't serve much purpose as bracing, but they do help out in the port turbulence department.
I don't use the 45's in the corner as bracing. More for structural integrity. The more surface area for the glue to hold onto the stronger the connection between the two panels //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.