Is 16AWG ok for 300 w RMS?

LOL 16g will be fine. I used 16g off 2 18" RD alphas and a 3000d @ .5 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

LOL 16g will be fine. I used 16g off 2 18" RD alphas and a 3000d @ .5 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Yes.

For wire going from the amp to the sub, it can be regular sized speaker wire. Wires can withstand high amperage for short periods of time (perfect for subs). 16awg will be fine. I personally use 14awg, but either will work fine.

well, I still got a lot of 16 AWG laying around, but I already rewired the sub today with the 8awg. Oh well. Wasn't too expensive though, so no biggie.

Does no one realize it depends hugely on the impedence load we're working with?

Why do you think you can pull thousands of watts through tiny little wires when working with 110v AC in a house? But when pulling more than 1 or 2k off a car battery you need 1/0 gauge

Why do you think you can pull thousands of watts through tiny little wires when working with 110v AC in a house? But when pulling more than 1 or 2k off a car battery you need 1/0 gauge
Which relates directly with voltage. The house electrical gives 110-120 volts. The car gives 12-15 volts.

Which relates directly with voltage. The house electrical gives 110-120 volts. The car gives 12-15 volts.
Exactly...and the higher the ohm load you're working with, the higher the voltage/current ratio will be through the wire going to your subs. If you have a high ohm load, you will have higher voltage, thus less current and need less current capacity.

Lets put it in perspective, @ 4 ohms, 1kw is about 15 amps

@ .5 ohms, 1kw is almost 45 amps.

It takes significantly more wire to adequately carry 45 amps than it does to carry 15 amps, even though in both situations you're running 1k rms

First of all, you can't get thousands of watts through "tiny little" (solid 14 ga) home wiring because your circuit breakers are properly limited to 15A, or around 1500w.

Second, it's a bad analogy because the difference there is voltage.

Exactly...and the higher the ohm load you're working with, the higher the voltage/current ratio will be through the wire going to your subs. If you have a high ohm load, you will have higher voltage, thus less current and need less current capacity.
Lets put it in perspective, @ 4 ohms, 1kw is about 15 amps

@ .5 ohms, 1kw is almost 45 amps.

It takes significantly more wire to adequately carry 45 amps than it does to carry 15 amps, even though in both situations you're running 1k rms
That much I agree with, but the issue with wire is always current which can be high regardless of the impedance of the load, or the voltage.

First of all, you can't get thousands of watts through "tiny little" (solid 14 ga) home wiring because your circuit breakers are properly limited to 15A, or around 1500w.
Second, it's a bad analogy because the difference there is voltage.

That much I agree with, but the issue with wire is always current which can be high regardless of the impedance of the load, or the voltage.
somebody from kansas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.