Ipod sound leveling

bugflipper
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
US
Any better programs out there than mp3 gain? I am running the default 89 db setting and it is killing the bass on some of the louder songs. I listen to rock/metal, so comparatively there isn't a lot of bass to begin with. Most songs clip at 100db, which is the range a cd is at. So wondering what db you run the program at if you use mp3 gain or what's a better option?

BTW I have enough low end, just dislike having to constantly fiddle with the remote gain (not bass knob). Running a ssa xcon 18d2 off a saz1500dv2.

Come on, no one uses sound leveling software for their iPod, iPhone or iPad? Surely everybody isn't using CDs. Will be good enough if you have a zune or whatever.

Is this the built-in leveling in the iPod? Because that shit totally doesn't work. It works on my PC's media player with mp3 and FLAC files. Would be nice if apple ever fixed it.

Once I found out how bad mp3s are compressed, I will never use an Ipod. CD's all the way! Mp3s are pure garbage on the high fidelity sound systems we run.
If you rip directly off cds to mp3 at 320kbps or above you should be alright, unless you're out for ultimate sq. The standard setting for itunes is 128kbps which is rubbish, I literally cannot listen to anything at that level. I can't stand itunes, and so I use a different software for my iPod. If you know what you are doing you can get some pretty good results, particularly if you run off a direct usb dock to the head unit and not the headphone output. Usually this will actually set the gain equal to that of a cd, I know mine did when I had one, even when tested with a multi meter on test tones.

To be honest I would be surprised if anyone on here can tell the difference between a high quality direct rip and straight off the cd by ear, even if played through a pair of very high quality headphones, or through a cars sound system.

320kbps is still compressed. Even flac files are compressed a little.
Yup still compressed, but most people will have no problem with it/won't even be able to notice a difference. Particularly not in a car whilst actually driving

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.