Ipod conspiracy?

The only way to rip CD's properly is using Exact Audio Copy, and the LAME 3.97 codec. Using the V0 standard created by UberNet.

It results in the best compromise between file size and quality, and is near impossible to distinguish in a blind a/b comparison...

nG

The only way to rip CD's properly is using Exact Audio Copy, and the LAME 3.97 codec. Using the V0 standard created by UberNet.
It results in the best compromise between file size and quality, and is near impossible to distinguish in a blind a/b comparison...

nG
What is the resultant format called?

Reason why I ask...I am curious if the Pioneer USB adapter could read it.

It reads a couple formats...

Anything like Highmat is compressing the files. If you are able to fit 200 songs on a CD instead of 15, the files are being compressed, thus resulting in a loss in SQ. Doesn't matter how you get there, either thru mp3 or aac or any other lossy format.
BTW, are there HU out there that offer similar controls/access from the HU like the iPod interface? I have thought about ditching the old iPod for something different but I don't want to do an AUX in and control it from the player... I want to maintain HU control. I've got an Alpine 9887 and I think there is a USB adapter out there but I don't know if it matters what mp3 player you use, etc... anybody?
New Pioneers allow you to hook up a HDD directly to the HU.

MP3...
I'd rather use FLAC, but that's just me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Nothing but my PC can play FLAC though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

MP3...
I'd rather use FLAC, but that's just me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Well, there is somewhat of a difference as the pioneer adapter can read .mp3 and not flac.

Curious if this mp3 ripper nG mentioned costs money.

I found that EAC website, I found no mention of codecs (or even what a codec is) but I am patient.

EDIT:

I want to compress audio tracks to MP3s, what do I need besides from EAC? Remember that EAC does not supply a MP3 codec; you may use the LAME, Gogo or the BladeEnc DLL’s (or FAAC Dll for AAC compression) by copying them into the same directory where you copied EAC. Then you will be able to choose the installed DLLs in the compression option dialog box. Of course the quality of MP3 is based on the encoder and the bitrate you use. Beside the DLLs you could also specify external command line compressors that will be executed after an entire track was read (and not on-the-fly).
So it looks like an add-on that you download separately.

Creative Zen Vision M FTW I flip flopped my system with my buddies IPod and the Zen blew it away in SQ. I was tickled.
Yeah Creative Zen Vision M here too and I love it!!

Anything like Highmat is compressing the files. If you are able to fit 200 songs on a CD instead of 15, the files are being compressed, thus resulting in a loss in SQ. Doesn't matter how you get there, either thru mp3 or aac or any other lossy format.
BTW, are there HU out there that offer similar controls/access from the HU like the iPod interface? I have thought about ditching the old iPod for something different but I don't want to do an AUX in and control it from the player... I want to maintain HU control. I've got an Alpine 9887 and I think there is a USB adapter out there but I don't know if it matters what mp3 player you use, etc... anybody?
Yes, you can buy the USB adapter and control your MP3 player through the deck then.

even at lower or moderate levels you'll still hear a difference with even a high bit-rate mp3 on an ipod compared to the real cd or even compared to the same high bit-rate mp3 burned onto a cd. ipods just don't sound good.
If you get a deck that uses its own DAC instead of the ipod's, do you still hear this difference?

nG
lameargs = qw (-b32 -mj -q1 -V0)

I use EAC and rip to FLAC for the home stereo [1] (using a squeezebox as home source.) To turn flacs into mp3's I am using a perl script called flac2mp3 which converts to mp3 and writes to the portable hard drive (or iaudio x5, whatever). FLAC for home MP3 for the road. All of the above s/w is free.

[1]yes EAC will use any converter you want, it rips to wav first and then calls out to your converter of choice, be that LAME for mp3 or flac.exe for flac, etc. passing that converter the tags for each song along with the wav file for conversion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.