internet brands - all they're hyped up to be?

fancynapkin
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
michigan
I have owned 2 major internet brands, eD (16kv2 and the nine.2) and the ascendant audio (atlas).

I seems like these subs are no better than the alpine or infinity equivalent. Or am I way off base? (no pun intended). Technically, what makes these subs so much better than the major brand stuff? It seems like all these small companies do is copy a generic design, and slap their logo on the cone.

Im now seeing all these threads raving about the type r's, and Im thinking, wow, I should have just done that, since Im not really to happy with what I have. The atlas is a nice sub, but I really dont think its some incredible deal, and the eD stuff blows. Anyone feel the same way?

I have not personally heard neither of those drivers, but the general consensus is that the are decent or above.

What exactly dont you like about them? what power you feeding them? what vehicle are they in? what enclosure type/size you run them with? What music are you not getting what you expect from?

I have heard the Ava and its a nice driver. The two you have used are very SQ inclined from what I've read. Perhaps they are very flat sounding and what you crave is more output.

Just curious.

I thought eD was just stuff that was pretty much re-badged?
Avionixx

CDT

Who makes their subs? It used to be TC Sounds, but is it still?
Value Electronics made Avionixx amps and eD amps. eD uses the same heatsink as Avionixx used while in production. They are not the same internally. VE builds amps to manf. specs. They share a heatsink design and some internal parts.

I have owned 2 major internet brands, eD (16kv2 and the nine.2) and the ascendant audio (atlas).
I seems like these subs are no better than the alpine or infinity equivalent. Or am I way off base? (no pun intended). Technically, what makes these subs so much better than the major brand stuff? It seems like all these small companies do is copy a generic design, and slap their logo on the cone.

Im now seeing all these threads raving about the type r's, and Im thinking, wow, I should have just done that, since Im not really to happy with what I have. The atlas is a nice sub, but I really dont think its some incredible deal, and the eD stuff blows. Anyone feel the same way?
I assume you've used every eD product so you can make that statement //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

they arent ness better,just different

they have different customers,different service and are more geared towards the DIYer

I think they on some instances do offer better value and service for that marketplace

overall most have excellent merchandise and alot of bang for the buck

TC Sounds makes drivers for many companies. But that doesn't mean that every company that uses the same buildhouse uses the same speakers with different badges ... They design their own speakers; TC Sounds simply makes them.

Yeah, I knew that, because isn't Sound Splinter made by TC sounds? I'm not bagging on them by any means, as I haven't tried anything eD has made, but I love my Atlas and Avalanche's...

but then again, I haven't tried anything main-stream, sub wise. I've only owned Adire(Shivas) and Ascendant(Atlas and Avalanche), and have played with Incriminator Lethal Injections.. So far, I like the internet brands from what I've seen...

However, I have listened to JL W6v2's, JL W7's, MTX 9500's, Boston Pro Series, Rockford Punches(P1), Cerwin Vegas, Orion HCCA(first model), and Alpine Type R's and honestly, if I could afford the W6's from an authorized dealer, with a warranty, I would probably be running those right now.

internet brands - all they're hyped up to be?
For the most part IMO yes. You get a great quality product for a lower cost. Normally customer service is better.

Most of the good internet company's products should be able to equal if not beat the mainstream equipment in the right hands.

Factor that in with the added savings and you get a great deal.

Haven't heard the eD stuff yet.....But I've heard an Atlas...and for the close to $100 you could get them for, I don't think there's much else that competes with it in sound quality that's mainstream in the same price bracket.

As for the rest of it....I'll pretty much say what Jmac said; a product is only what you make of it. I don't think anyone ever claimed that mainstream products ****. But, in general, internet brands offer more performance per dollar than mainstream equipment. For example; the Eclipse Aluminums are based on the TC7 and MSRP'd at $499, where as the Soundsplinter Rl-p is based on the TC9 and you can grab it for around $250. One basic model up for around half the price compared to mainstream.

but then again, I haven't tried anything main stream sub wise. I've only owned Adire and Ascendant, and have played with Incriminator Lethal Injections.. So far, I like the internet brands from what I've seen...
I think this is part of the problem online.. a few influencial people throw around internet brands, and a bunch of new guys assume they are just that much better.

Actual unbiased testing is the only way to get the truth.... very little of that actually goes on here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

they arent ness better,just differentthey have different customers,different service and are more geared towards the DIYer

I think they on some instances do offer better value and service for that marketplace

overall most have excellent merchandise and alot of bang for the buck
exactly... they GENERALLY retail cheaper than a comparable mainstream sub, but thats not *always* the case.

You can't just assume the "Underground" sub performs better... thats not always the case.

I don't know. I find you get more for the price. They seem more durable. My bottom of the line flat cone k's sound better than my jbl gto series did and I had all kinds of problems with the jbl gto series. Went through three sets +. They get louder than my jbl's did and sound better at the same time. At the time I bought the gto's they were going for $80 each so it ended up being pretty much the same price as my k's but a big difference in performance. I've heard bad things about the old type r's but I can't remember exactly what. I've heard the infinity perfects tend to break if you feed them over 300 watts. If you look at the price of the infinity perfects when they first came out they were like $200+ each. I'm guessing 2 12" Ov2's would outperform them in sq and spl. But I can't say this for sure because I haven't heard them side by side. Basically what I'm saying is if you take a new design of some well known store brand sub and compare it to the same thing you could buy online, you're going to save money or get an extra sub for the same price.

Yeah, I knew that, because isn't Sound Splinter made by TC sounds? I'm not bagging on them by any means, as I haven't tried anything eD has made, but I love my Atlas and Avalanche's...
but then again, I haven't tried anything main-stream, sub wise. I've only owned Adire(Shivas) and Ascendant(Atlas and Avalanche), and have played with Incriminator Lethal Injections.. So far, I like the internet brands from what I've seen...

However, I have listened to JL W6v2's, JL W7's, MTX 9500's, Boston Pro Series, Rockford Punches(P1), Cerwin Vegas, Orion HCCA(first model), and Alpine Type R's and honestly, if I could afford the W6's from an authorized dealer, with a warranty, I would probably be running those right now.
That's because the W6v2 is just reeeaaally nice:)

In general though, I think maybe I got fooled into thinking the mainstream stuff is crap, when alot of it is really good. I know lots of people that love eD, I personally am not to happy with them. My kv2 looked no better than anything else on the circuit city wall. My atlas is great, but once again, all of these subs seem to be copies of something else. Its like one company makes a sub, and 9 other companies slap their logos on them. With the price per performance thing, I wonder, wouldn't a larger company be able to produce high featured woofers at a low cost? I would think the small companies would have problems with that.

The followings of these internet companies are also wierd, and I find myself guilty of it sometimes too. But like eD, very odd, its like they have a gang of total ass kissers, and then others who are total anti's. I for one can't believe people can tolerate them, they edit out almost everything on icix, and close any and all threads that say something somewhat negative about an eD product, even if its asking for help (IE like my nine.2 that overheats every 20 sec.)

I just seems like I can trust a larger company better, since they dont work out of their garage or whatever, and they dont need to rip people off. Plus, the new type-r's look like they smoke everything else in their price range, name brand or not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.