Intermittent arc from antenna when plugging into new head unit..?

Participant count
  • Participants list

sbet98

CarAudio.com Newbie
I just put in a new head unit and during the install I went to connect the antenna to the new HU and I got a spark off the body of the HU. Its not a consistent arc, it wont do it more than twice. You had to wait a while to get it to do the same thing again but I decided to go ahead and finish the job after I tried to get it to arc again and it didnt ...

Anyone got any ideas what would have caused this? Ive got the battery disconnected for now. Think Im okay to just run with it or should I be looking for something? I checked my wiring and its good, the HU is working fine and the radio reception is good. No distortion coming through even while driving.

More info -- I ran a ground from the HU and tried to get an arc and couldnt without the antenna attatched but at that point I couldnt get the arc to happen again anyways with the antenna wire... Im not an expert as you may be able to pick up but Ive installed many HU's with no issues and I would assume that I need to be worried about this..?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
when i wear socks on carpet same thing happens to me....i just cant seem to figure it out....blows my mind everytime i touch something and see a spark....one of life's many mysteries...

I feel the need in case anyone else had this same issue -- it turns out that it may actually have been a massive amount of static and the self-titled ******* (his words) may have guessed right. Ive installed many HU's and Ive never seen an antenna arc more than once. Mine did it twice initially and then every time I tried afterwards in 5 minute intervals until it stopped completely.

Or maybe Ill die in a fiery crash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.