Big3 upgrade problems

Prestondrew40

Car audio enthusiast
Mobile
So I bought the sky high audio 1/0 big 3 kit and installed it today. I ran one from positive alternator post to positive battery post. One from negative battery post to ground. And one from the engine block to a body ground. All 1/0. Got in and played a little music and my voltage still dropped to 12.4... I have no clue what I could’ve done wrong, it’s only a 1200 watt amp wired to .5 ohms. I checked voltage at alternator and battery and it’s at 13.75. Which is what my voltage reader is reading at idle but when I turn the bass up it still drops. Lmk if you have any idea of what it could be.

So I bought the sky high audio 1/0 big 3 kit and installed it today. I ran one from positive alternator post to positive battery post. One from negative battery post to ground. And one from the engine block to a body ground. All 1/0. Got in and played a little music and my voltage still dropped to 12.4... I have no clue what I could’ve done wrong, it’s only a 1200 watt amp wired to .5 ohms. I checked voltage at alternator and battery and it’s at 13.75. Which is what my voltage reader is reading at idle but when I turn the bass up it still drops. Lmk if you have any idea of what it could be.

You need to run one from the negative battery to a ground on the frame

1/2 ohm will draw some current, how big is your alt, how many and what type of batteries do you have? Power/ground wire size etc.

My "Big 3" turned into a spiderweb of 0ga. I had fun running it all cleanly and unwrapped my factory harness to get rid of the factory wire.

Power:
Alt charging wire to battery. (0ga)
Grounds:
Engine to frame (0ga)
Engine to body (0ga)
Engine to battery (0ga)
Then I linked all 3 ground locations. (0ga)

Overkill I'm sure but the wire was laying around so I got creative.

1/2 ohm will draw some current, how big is your alt, how many and what type of batteries do you have? Power/ground wire size etc.

My "Big 3" turned into a spiderweb of 0ga. I had fun running it all cleanly and unwrapped my factory harness to get rid of the factory wire.

Power:
Alt charging wire to battery. (0ga)
Grounds:
Engine to frame (0ga)
Engine to body (0ga)
Engine to battery (0ga)
Then I linked all 3 ground locations. (0ga)

Overkill I'm sure but the wire was laying around so I got creative.
I ended up doing the same from reading all the big three variance post. I counted up to big 6 of you really want to spin a big a$$ web of 1/0

It’s just a cheap 1200 watt rms Rockville amp. It’s not .5 ohm stable but I’ve ran it like this for prob 5 months.

So maybe what you did worked and now it's able to draw more from you electrical system than it can handle. Or something like that.

Total guess just thought maybe that could be it

So maybe what you did worked and now it's able to draw more from you electrical system than it can handle. Or something like that.

Total guess just thought maybe that could be it
Possibly. The only reason I went to half ohm is Bc the amp stopped working in bridged mode for some reason so I sent it in to get fixed and “nothing was wrong with it.” This setup was just a little cheap setup to get some bass, so if it blows it blows lol.

Bridged mode? 2 channel amp? Or is that some b.s. mode Rockville puts on their mono amplifiers. 2 channel bridged with a .5 ohm wiring lol?
Boat anchor. I'd buy something else (preferably something that at least does rated paower) asap and wire to a higher ohm load and your electrical will probably be fine

Rockville amps are cheap POS amps (boat anchors) not really meant for .5, and if your clipping the current draw the amp wants will get worse. Cheaping out on an amp can work sometimes but trying to surpass your electrical capabilities causes issues every time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.