Installing 2007 Chrysler stereo in 1968 Dodge Pickup.

Participant count
  • Participant list

MrChuckInPA

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I have looked around and found lots of interesting topics that I will, no doubt, have an enjoyable time exploring.

I need some assistance.
I have a P05107095AJ Chrysler stereo from a Jeep Wrangler that I want to install in my 1968 Dodge pickup. I bought the truck with an older late model Chrysler stereo installed. I removed it to upgrade to this unit that features a CD player and auxiliary input to use with the cellphone. The unit also features Bluetooth connectivity for calls and potentially wireless connection to mobile devices.

Any insights here? I know that a lot of what goes on in this community is custom in nature but I see lots of threads about factory units as well. In my search for an existent thread about this topic I found nothing pertinent.

Thank you all and I look forward to the project.

MrChuckInPA

Highly unlikely this will be an easy job. It may or may not fit in the factory hole without some fabrication/modification and you may wind up having to go roundabout in getting wiring pigtail for both to simplify wiring (or rely on looking up factory colors and testing everything).

Also where is the hands free mic for the newer unit? Can you even dig that out?

In short, aftermarket head units are very cheap and capable these days and if you buy from Crutchfield they'll even throw in the dash mounting kit and wiring adapters for you. I would strongly advise just looking for something new aftermarket unless you really just like a challenge or have some other compelling reason to attempt this.

That stereo has the anti theft system. Only a Chrysler dealer can unlock the stereo if you don’t know the lock code. You will most likely spend more just getting the code than a new aftermarket stereo would cost.

Hello and thank you for your response.
If you read my post above I mention that there was already a late model stereo installed in the truck when I bought it. I already have the subsequent unit from a crashed vehicle. I don't really care about the hands free function but I'd anticipated a trip to the salvage yard to clip the car side of the harness from a Wrangler or Nitro for the install. Wouldn't be difficult to get the mic as well. They're usually in the rear view mirror.
That's not that important to me though.
So far, my cost has been zero dollars on the stereo and a few bucks in a set of JBL speakers, so I can appreciate the fact that they make cheap aftermarket head units. The idea here is that this is a Chrysler unit going in a Chrysler product.

Well, take some pics as you go. You'll probably need to do some searching to figure out which color wires are which out of the new head unit (unless it's the same plug as the one in there now) but sounds like you're up for the challenge and dead set on getting a stock head unit in there. I can say that I haven't seen anybody on this board doing that sort of thing before so you're breaking new ground around here, might as well share your experience in case anybody else ever comes along looking.

Well, I'll be glad to do that. I'll admit to being a novice at any stereo work at this level. I had an old KRACO that I moved from car to car when I was a youngster but this is hopefully going to be a little better result.
I have the original radio wires identified and there is already a constant hot wire, so that's good.
When I bought the truck the dash had already been cut in order to fit an 80's or possibly early 90's Chrysler stereo with a tape deck. I would have left it in there if it was still working. Now I have to play my Grandpa Jones cassette in the garage!
We'll see how it goes and I'll post some pictures if it isn't too embarrassing.
Thanks.
-Chuck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.