Installation problems, old car, new stereo :/

Participant count
  • Participant list

Angie~

CarAudio.com Newbie
Super new to this, please bear with me!

I have a 2002 SEAT Cordoba 1.6l, as some may know, it doesn't even come with a tape/cd player. Completely old! Here's my problem, I bought a brand new stereo (nav, bluetooth, back up cam etc). The car stereo installer said he can not install this without a certain type of harness. One that allows hook up for the AC & other functions. Never have I heard of this, what harness or cables do I need to hook my new stereo up to my old car??? I've called many shops and asked for help. No one seems to recall a specific hook up piece. He can install a basic stereo, so what's the difference if it comes with more options?

Please help,

A~

Ps: here is a few photos, an idea of the set up without the tape though. Also the stereo I bought.  20181104_023409.jpgScreenshot_20181104-022426_Samsung Internet.jpg

Super new to this, please bear with me!

I have a 2002 SEAT Cordoba 1.6l, as some may know, it doesn't even come with a tape/cd player. Completely old! Here's my problem, I bought a brand new stereo (nav, bluetooth, back up cam etc). The car stereo installer said he can not install this without a certain type of harness. One that allows hook up for the AC & other functions. Never have I heard of this, what harness or cables do I need to hook my new stereo up to my old car??? I've called many shops and asked for help. No one seems to recall a specific hook up piece. He can install a basic stereo, so what's the difference if it comes with more options?

Please help,

A~

Ps: here is a few photos, an idea of the set up without the tape though. Also the stereo I bought. View attachment 2100View attachment 2101
The issue with integrating in a lot of cars is that the car manufacturer puts various random controls (for climate control or similar) in the same panel that must be removed to install an aftermarket (or stock) radio. 

Crutchfield (big and established retailer) or contact Scosche or Metra (manufacturers of integration solutions).  Any of those three should be able to point you in the right direction what part you need if it even exists.  Some oddball cars you simply can't find anything for since R&D cost can't be justified by the number of units these guys can realistically expect to sell.  Some of these factory integration dash kits can get pretty pricey depending how much heavy thinking they need to do and how big of a piece of dash they will replace. 

Good luck and if you find any answers post them here.  May well be someone else comes along searching for the same question eventually.

I truly appreciate the help, thank you so much! I'll definitely look into that. The installer said he can put a single din in, but what I don't get is why can't you install a single din pop out. I was willing to change up the model.

I've seen photos of regular stereos, just nothing fancy   :)

I will hopefully find the answer and post it!!!20181104_084303.jpg20181104_082930.jpg

With modifications, you can place just about any after market HU in 
I thought so, but the installer says I need a certain wire harness. The placement of the double din and single are no problem at all. He just said if you don't get the part that connects the AC and radio. Then you're looking at picking what means more. To install the product and have no ac or have ac and no specific stereo. :(

I truly appreciate the help, thank you so much! I'll definitely look into that. The installer said he can put a single din in, but what I don't get is why can't you install a single din pop out. I was willing to change up the model.

I've seen photos of regular stereos, just nothing fancy   :)

I will hopefully find the answer and post it!!!View attachment 2106View attachment 2107
That picture appears to be just someone cutting a single DIN sized hole in the factory panel.  You could certainly do that for mounting, but if the aftermarket integration manufacturers are making a "kit" to replace the whole panel it likely comes with a pigtail of wires so they may not make a wiring harness adapter to sell separately.   

You could always just cut the hole, mount whatever you like, hard-wire and/or run all fresh wires but that turns into a bigger job and you may well pay as much or more in labor as you would for the plug and play dash kit. 

That picture appears to be just someone cutting a single DIN sized hole in the factory panel.  You could certainly do that for mounting, but if the aftermarket integration manufacturers are making a "kit" to replace the whole panel it likely comes with a pigtail of wires so they may not make a wiring harness adapter to sell separately.   

You could always just cut the hole, mount whatever you like, hard-wire and/or run all fresh wires but that turns into a bigger job and you may well pay as much or more in labor as you would for the plug and play dash kit. 
Yes, you are correct, they don't have a problem with the placement, it's the wiring part. I called crutchfield today and poor guy tried for 40 mins. We looked at every option. Nothing seems to work, he's just as lost as I am. I'll try one more time with the installer here. See if he can go that extra mile and find it. I am also calling vw part department tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted. 

Thanks so much, 

You both are great!!

Angie~

Yes, you are correct, they don't have a problem with the placement, it's the wiring part. I called crutchfield today and poor guy tried for 40 mins. We looked at every option. Nothing seems to work, he's just as lost as I am. I'll try one more time with the installer here. See if he can go that extra mile and find it. I am also calling vw part department tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted. 

Thanks so much, 

You both are great!!

Angie~
As I said, running a new head unit with all new wire is do-able.   Just run wires to all speaker locations +12V, ACC, and Ground (even a novice installer can find these wires in any car).  It's not a complicated install, but time consuming since cleanly running new wires all around the car will involve having to remove at the very least trim panels all around and the complexity of getting wires safely into doors.  

Good luck!  If you feel really bold we could probably walk you through doing it yourself but you'll need access to a few tools and some patience.

hispls said:
As I said, running a new head unit with all new wire is do-able.   Just run wires to all speaker locations +12V, ACC, and Ground (even a novice installer can find these wires in any car).  It's not a complicated install, but time consuming since cleanly running new wires all around the car will involve having to remove at the very least trim panels all around and the complexity of getting wires safely into doors.  

Good luck!  If you feel really bold we could probably walk you through doing it yourself but you'll need access to a few tools and some patience.
Thank you so much for the offer.

OK UPDATE!!

So this guy I found will hook up my stereo underneath my center piece, meaning it's sort of down by my cigarette lighter spot. He's going to cut out the console/ remove the cigarette lighter and ashtray spot. Not to sure what that will look like, but I am super desperate for someone to do the job. He said he can hook everything up no problem. I just won't have sound coming from the original stereo, (which is fine) the new set up plays the radio. I don't need both. He says it's easily done. Here's hoping.

I'll update photos Tuesday or Wednesday. Just found him Saturday, so I'm giving him a bit (order parts, make the bracket, install stereo, speakers, amp & sub, etc).

Cross fingers everyone!!!!

Thanks again,

A~

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.