Install xover tuning help needed - Focal and PDX amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

coloclimber

I just had a BSW sub installed in my X5 (which uses an Alumipro Alusonic EX 8" sub) powered by an Alpine PDX 2.150 amp running it 1x300.

I also have Focal 165 KFs components in the front doors and Focal 165 CV1 in the rear doors powered by an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp.

The installer said he didnt need the Focal crossovers that came with the speakers for the front speakers as all the frequency tuning would be done at the amp. This didnt make sense to me but I wanted to run it by the forum.

I'd personally put the passives back in and bridge the 4.100.

If you want to run a midrange and a tweeter actively, you need to HP the mids around 80hz and LP it around 2k. Then you need to HP the tweeters where the mids leave off....around 2k. Just general figures.

The preamp in that amp cannot do all that. Basically, it has two, but you need three. You either need a HU, external active crossover, or you need to use the passive to HP the tweeters (if the crossover is bi-ampable) to run completely active. Not only that, but filter only goes to 400hz and you need it to go to about 2khz. It's not possible with that amp.

The sub is crossover looks fine albeit a little high for a sub.

Hope that makes sense.

that doesn't look right. I'd suggest you get the passive x-overs in there. Like foxpro said, you need a higher LP filter for the mids and a much higher HP filter for your tweets. Your tweets can be easily damaged due to the low frequencies it's receiving.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

coloclimber

coloclimber
Denver, CO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
coloclimber